Recent comments from Members

• 04/07/2012 - 22:30
    Excellent interview with Dalton. The '4th fastest boat' in the Volvo may be fair enough. . . 5th fastest is stretching it a little bit!
  • 04/07/2012 - 08:54
    "first Irish winner of the Volvo Ocean Race: Damian Foxall" Hmmm. not sure what Justin Slattery would have to say about that! Winner on board ABN Amro!
  • 03/07/2012 - 16:02
    Apart from the rather screaming question of 'Why isn't JuanK - whose record both on competitiveness an reliability is rather better than the Farr office's over the last 3 races', I do have concerns about how far they've gone down the "strict" one design rule. I suppose, if you give people leeway to - say - take a one design hull but develop their own foils they will then just go and spend X millions on that, but there really doesn't seem to be any possibility for development at all. For me, as a sailor, this was one of the main things that made the race interesting. It's not like it's possible to admire the crew work so the different paths taken by different boats on design have always been the key interest. Perhaps sails may be a possibility, but I rather doubt it given the route they've taken on everything else.
  • 03/07/2012 - 10:08
    A good point certainly but I think for the next race the engineering of the boat and integrity of the one design will be more important than the raw design itself. Historically Farr has been top dog when it comes to one designs
  • 03/07/2012 - 08:31
    Good question, how could Juan K be overlooked? No mention about the sails, will they be North monopoly? There would certainly be no need for that, not on cost pretext anyway.
  • 02/07/2012 - 14:54
    I'm intrigued as to why the design is to be from Farr Yacht Design rather than Juan Kouyoumdjian's Juan Yacht Design. Given the track record of the Juan K Volvo 70s, you'd think that might be the obvious choice?
  • 26/06/2012 - 02:27
    In response to: Air borne America's Cup?
    how about a 35 knot pitchpole on that baby ?
  • 26/06/2012 - 02:27
    In response to: Air borne America's Cup?
    how about a 35 knot pitchpole on that baby ?
  • 25/06/2012 - 11:40
    In response to: Air borne America's Cup?
    Holy smokes, Soon the will do away with the hulls as well, as the Swiss guys have, and we will all long for AC32
  • 24/06/2012 - 16:43
    In response to: AC72 design
    The stiffness issue is certainly very interesting. A stiffer structure develops much higher point loads, so it has to be heavier to prevent breakage. The opposite applies to a softer structure. What is interesting is the reasoning that the first puff just creates flex. Yes, but the flex is stored energy (like compressing a spring), so do you actually lose enougt to justify the weight of added stiffness???
  • 18/06/2012 - 13:05
    very neat but got to question the ratio of money spent to podium places gained / kept... we all know what happens when this gets out of whack... the owner packs it in.
  • 14/06/2012 - 08:25
    Quantum was built at Longitud 0 in Burriana and not by King Marine as mentioned above
  • 08/06/2012 - 09:03
    What a driver Conrad Colman has been. Sponsors should be competing to finance his future plans!
  • 06/06/2012 - 09:48
    In response to: Beau Geste breaks in half
    This is sertainly a structual fatigue issue. In terms of envelope pushing design of Carbon Fibre structures, the ocean racing community is leading the way. So is this an issue which applies only to marginally under dimensioned structures or is it an issue which lurkes in all carbon structures. If so, what about aircraft wing sections or your 5m$ cruising yacht investment? More research into the fatigue issues of Carbon Fibre please.
  • 04/06/2012 - 18:54
    In response to: Where are they now?
    I am moored next to Flyer(II) right now in the island of Naxos in Greece, immaculately converted to a cruising boat and obviously much loved. I also think I may have seen Gaia, from the first race last week near Athens.
  • 04/06/2012 - 18:54
    In response to: Where are they now?
  • 04/06/2012 - 18:53
    In response to: Where are they now?
  • 04/06/2012 - 18:52
    In response to: Where are they now?
  • 31/05/2012 - 02:25
    i made these for our 52...1 pull for the working sheet, no clutching, no emergency unclutch. 1:4 purchase with spectra going to a spindle connected to a big drum.
  • 24/05/2012 - 06:28
    I think it's to do with the medal chances of US in a kiteboarding class....