Try a 14
You and a sailing partner could be one of 20 teams competing in a trials weekend to be held at Hayling Island Sailing Club. From these 20 teams, a selection panel will determine which two successful teams will be loaned a top-flight International 14 to campaign for the 2009 racing season.
Ed Clay, one of the selectors and a graduate from last year’s successful Boat Loan Trials, said he would be looking for teams that displayed a number of qualities. “It’s not just about looking for the fastest teams, although competence at sailing the 14 will obviously be a major factor in our decision. More important than that is a sense of enthusiasm and commitment to the 14 fleet.
“Last year we had our first Boat Loan Trials - in which I was one of the competitors - and that attracted new people into the class who have become permanent members of the UK 14 fleet. That’s what we’re looking for from this year’s entrants - competence but also commitment and desire to race an International 14 on a regular basis. Many people aspire to race a 14 but never find a way to doing that. Thanks to the generosity of our owners in the fleet, we’ve got 10 boats on loan for the weekend to help us hold these Trials.”
A number of sponsors have committed to supporting the crews on the 14 loan programme, including Hyde Sails, Marlow Ropes and IBI Sailing, and all entrants to the weekend will receive free 14 Class Association membership for the year.
- Give 20 crews the opportunity to sail a 14
- Select two crews who will be lent an International 14 for the season
- The event is open to anyone interested in 14 sailing
- Both male and female crews are welcome
- Teams should be over 140kg combined weight and have suitable experience racing high performance boats
- Entry fee is £30 (with £100 refundable damage deposit)
- Deadline for receipt of entry is Friday 27 March
- Up to 20 crews will be able to enter on a ‘first come first served’ basis.
- Racing will be run in two random flights on the Saturday, with two ranked fleets on Sunday.
Those crews interested in the boat loan scheme will have a short informal discussion with the selection committee to discuss how much time they would be able to commit throughout the year.
The loan boats will be allocated by the committee based on:
- Ability and potential sailing a 14
- Preference for the boat loans will be given to those who have not sailed 14s before and youth crews
- Commitment to 14 sailing. As a minimum crews must attend the Harbour series and PoW
If you fit the criteria and want to take part in the Trials, then complete an entry form which can be found at www.gbr.international14.org
Ed Clay, Boat Loan Trials Organiser, Email: email@example.com. Phone: 07792 957849