Photo: Phil Shepherd

Team Extreme ahead

After day two of the Wilson Trophy British Open Team Racing Championship

Saturday May 8th 2010, Author: Justin Chisholm, Location: United Arab Emirates

Competitors at the 2010 Wilson Trophy British Open Team Racing Championship had an early start on day two of the event, with racing getting underway at 0800 sharp this morning. Conditions out on the marine lake at West Kirby were close to ideal for the second day of racing, with clearing skies and around eight to ten knots of breeze. All those teams with serious aspirations of a place in the final-eight knock out stages tomorrow knew that a strong performance today was vital. Unsurprisingly then, several teams came out fighting and the early rounds saw some frenetic action, which kept the spectators and the twenty-five water borne international umpires on their toes.

A redress claim for gear failure posted by reigning Wilson Trophy winners, the West Kirby Hawks, after their match with fierce rivals Team Extreme, was upheld overnight. In this morning’s re-sail the Hawks successfully overturned their defeat from the previous day. While this turnaround propelled the local team right back into the hunt, there was no let up in the pressure from the American teams with Team Extreme, the Woonsocket Rockets and New York Red all putting in impressive performances to keep them firmly in the upper echelon of the leaderboard.

By late morning, Team Extreme and the Woonsocket Rockets were tied at the top of the board and when soon after these two teams faced off against each other, it was Team Extreme who prevailed with a 1,2,5 victory over their fellow countrymen. After going down to consecutive defeats from Imperial Poona and the Woonsocket Rockets, Royal Thames did well to regroup and chalk up vital victories over West Kirby sailing Club and New York Red, to keep their top eight prospects very much alive. However a remarkable unforced error just after lunch saw the Royal Thames sailors fail to make it out to the startline in time for their match against the West Kirby Hawks. This handed a welcome victory to the slightly bemused-looking Hawks, who cruised home in a relaxed 1,2,3 formation. The slugging match at the top of the table continued all afternoon with places changing constantly between the top five teams.

At around 1630 and with a total of 16 rounds sailed over the last two days, it was Team Extreme who sat in top position with 13 wins out of sixteen races. In second was the West Kirby Hawks with 12 wins, ahead of the Royal Thames, New York Red, the George Knights and the Woonsocket Rockets all on eleven victories. Wessex Exempt and the Royal St. George YC closed out the final two of the top eight places at the end of the second day. Behind these teams overnight is a gaggle of ten boats all just one point adrift of the top eight.

The final stages of the Swiss League will be completed tomorrow morning, leaving the top eight teams to battle it out through the knockout quarter and semi-final rounds, for a coveted place in the Grand Final.

Full results here

West Kirby Sailing Club is grateful for the generous sponsorship of the following companies: Buckley Industrial, Carlsberg, Deeside Services, G.L. Watson, Hilbre Off Sales, Musto, Peninsular Dev. NW, Rondar Raceboats, Serenity Clinic, Uren Food Group, West Kirby Lettings



Latest Comments

Add a comment - Members log in

Latest news!

Back to top
    Back to top