Rolex Yachtsman and Yachtswoman of the Year Awards nominees
With the record books shortly to close for 2010, US Sailing is celebrating the year in review with the release of its shortlist of nominees for the 2010 Rolex Yachtsman and Yachtswoman of the Year Awards. A nod to some of the top performances in the sport of sailing in the United States, those making the 2010 shortlist represent the diversity of the sport, from match racers and speed record breakers to one-design champions and Olympic hopefuls.
The nominees will be reviewed by a panel of noted sailing journalists who discuss the merits of each nominee and vote to determine US SAILING's 2010 Rolex Yachtsman and Yachtswoman of the Year. The ultimate winners will be announced in mid-January and honored on February 25, 2011, during a luncheon at the New York Yacht Club in Manhattan, when they will be presented with Rolex timepieces.
Established in 1961 by US Sailing and sponsored by Rolex Watch, U.S.A. since 1980, the annual presentation of US Sailing's Rolex Yachtsman and Yachtswoman of the Year awards are considered the sport's ultimate recognition of an individual’s outstanding on-the-water achievements for the calendar year. Over its history the coveted award has been presented to 38 men and 32 women, including these notable sailors who have claimed the honor multiple times: Ed Adams, Betsy Alison, Sally Barkow, Dennis Conner, JJ Isler, Allison Jolly, John Kostecki, Buddy Melges, Ken Read, Cory Sertl, Lynne Shore, Jody Swanson and Ted Turner.
Nominees shortlisted for US Sailing's 2010 Rolex Yachtsman of the Year award:
- Sunfish North American Champion Bill Brangiforte (Weymouth, Mass.)
- Melges 24 North American Champion Adam Burns (North Tonawanda, N.Y.)
- 505 North American Champion Augie Diaz (Miami, Fla.)
- Luderitz Speed Record Breaker Robert Douglas (Nantucket, Mass.)
- J/24 World Champion Tim Healy (Newport, R.I.)
- Jules Verne Circumnavigation Record Winner Stan Honey (Palo Alto, Calif.)
- Marinepool Melges 24 World Champion Jonathan McKee (Seattle, Wash.)
- Newport to Bermuda Race Winner Rives Potts (Essex, Conn.)
- Lightning North American Champion David Starck (Buffalo, N.Y.)
- Star North American Champion George Szabo (San Diego, Calif.)
Nominees shortlisted for US Sailing’s 2010 Rolex Yachtswoman of the Year award:
- 470 Women’s North American Champion Amanda Clark (Shelter Island, N.Y.)
- ICSA/Laser Performance Women’s Singlehanded National Champion Claire Dennis (Saratoga, Calif.)
- Kieler Woche Laser Radial Champion Paige Railey (Clearwater, Fla.)
- Laser Radial Youth Women’s World Champion Erika Reineke (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.)
- U.S. Women's Match Racing Champion Genny Tulloch (San Francisco, Calif.)
- US Sailing’s Rolex Miami OCR Women’s Match Racing Champion Anna Tunnicliffe (Plantation, Fla.).