Nacra F16 unveiled
With the maturing of the F16 class and it receiving ISAF status as a recognised class at the end of 2010, so Nacra have unveiled their new F16 model.
The NACRA F16 is designed & engineered by the world famous multihull designers Morrelli & Melvin based in Huntington Beach California USA. Morrelli/Melvin have already proved to be successful with several earlier designs for Nacra such as the Playcat (1995), Inter F18 (1995), F18 Infusion(2005) and the F20 Carbon(2009).
Both F18s designed by Morrelli/Melvin became World Champions in the F18 class numerous times, while the F20 Carbon is proving to be a true racing machine sailed by the more heavier sailors and winning events on line honors and handicap. Morrelli/Melvin is involved in the latest America’s Cup catamaran designs.
Peter Vink oversaw this F16 project on behalf of NACRA discusses their latest model: "In a young class, as the F16 class is, we had to come up with a design that needs to be the benchmark for a long time. A 16 footer that can be used by recreational sailors and/or racing teams, pushing the limits of what is possible. Just get onboard and start exploring, with the launch of this F16, NACRA is not one step ahead, but miles.”
The F16 is aimed at five potential users:
- The solo sailors that just want to go out whenever it suits her/him
- Parents teaching their kids learning to race around the buoys
- Sailors that just want a light multihull with large range of sail and crew weight versatility
- Light racing teams that are too light for F18 but are searching for an exciting competitive boat
- Couples/mixed teams that are pushing the boundaries of what is possible with a boat
The Nacra F16 will be available for delivery in December 2011.