Some Wicked Gossip...

Who would have ever believed it?

There has been an initiation of hostilities between... wait for it, this is good: Seahorse and Scuttlebutt!

The only safe place now is under a table, beneath an archway, within a bomb shelter, in a neutral country (does Switzerland rate)?

It began yesterday when Seahorse editor Andy Hurst sent a complaint to Scuttlebutt, saying (in my edited version here):

"it is time for Scuttlebutt to take a hard look at itself over its continued need to keep publishing tedious Alinghi-bashing rants....Please can we now move on before I award Scuttlebutt Junk-Filter status."

Now, all of you who know the Seahorse website are aware that Scuttlebutt's news has featured there for a long time. This long-standing collaboration now appears strained, to put it mildly! All because the readership of Scuttlebutt cannot think of anything better to do, than write interminable diatribes against the awful Swiss menace...

And how does Scuttlebutt respond? Well, what would you do if confronted by an angry... Seahorse?

First he summons a few quotes from the hyper-buoyant Bruno Troublé, to establish that the Almighty is on his side, no doubt...

(did you know that Troublé's is the outstretched arm in the Sistine Chapel? And he's holding an LV handbag in the other arm? Bob Fisher wrote about it recently...it must be true)

And as followup there is then another 'Alinghi-bashing' letter; Which would be tedious except for the fact that it is also 'Seahorse-bashing'...

http://forum.sailingscuttlebutt.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=9454#9454

I have to admit I'm very glad we are safe here, at The Daily Sail Forum, behind the impregnable barriers it has cleverly put up against all errant and malicious content...

Harsh reprimand....... At

Harsh reprimand.......

At the tail end of a fulmination which appeared on the Internet of Sailing yesterday, there is this:

"if you think we are being too harsh we welcome your feedback."

So I have a little feedback but I'll post it here in this clandestine forum, since I feel it would be presumptuous, towards Sail World Europe & Africa, to do all their aggregating for them!

The editorial comment comprised of several shots fired in news-gathering frustration; with the the 159-strong fleet of the F18 Class association, their French hosts in Erquy, and the A-Class all dancing in the crosshairs.

Most emphatically, the royal 'we' is employed, most of the time:

"We are constantly amazed at the Class World Championship that makes no allowance in their budget for a yachting journalist to output daily news reports. Surely to have a 159 boat World Championship and to deliver no news is an interesting approach. Its OK tho' there are images from 2009 on the site, so in due course I guess there will be 2010 images too.

"Luckily we do have some switched on competitors, so this podium image was supplied courtesy of Darren Bundock.

"We are further amazed that the Classes, do not make such provision mandatory, part of the contract between the Class and the event organisers.

"The multihull classes surely are keen to advance their cause to return to the Olympic fold, yet we saw the A Class catamarans and the F18s plumb new depths in this area.

"Twitter feeds about race start times and late results just do not cut it.

"We look forward to receiving an explanation from the F18 Class about their priorities. But in the meanwhile if you think we are being too harsh we welcome your feedback.

"Here are the complete results, though we notice that 24 hours after the event finished, these results are stil only provisional!! We guess that will be another day!! "
http://www.sail-world.com/Europe/F18-Worlds-2010-Erguy-France--provisional-results-24-hours-after-event/71802

If it sounds like there is a Queen Bee at Sail-World, she's unhappy with the unattended job her presumed drones should be doing...

I am amazed that no-one in the vast news room of Sail-World was able to even pick up a phone and make a random call to one of the 318 sailors at this F18 championship.

I am further amazed at Sail World's huffy expectance of mandatory requirements for event organizers, that said organizers must provide them with a steady flow of news, for free!

Or else, what?  They'll fill that space with seething editorials instead!

What next? Will they be expecting french and italian organizers to deliver it all, on time, in flawless English?

Ye gads, the internet is a harsh mistress...

Bol d'Or, Upset City !

Bol d'Or, Upset City !   There is the most wonderful race going on at this very moment.

After nearly 9 hours of racing, Ladycat was first round the mark at Bouveret.  Close behind were the M2 'Tilt' and (more dangerously?) Monsieur Bidegorry on Banque Populaire, who along with Foncia/Gauthier&Desj has been the on the hottest streak in this 2010 Decision 35 season so far.

Over two hours later, Ladycat has held her lead as she has gone 'wrong way' through the rest of the fleet at up to 13 knots speed; now they are opposite Rolle on the french side...

Can she stay in the wind and finish first?  This must be the all-time best tracking page, so far in sailing!

boldor.inser.ch/

It is a brilliant summer

It is a brilliant summer day, but I find myself distraught, more or less...

To divert myself lately, I've been trying to improve my language skills.  I surveyed the width and breadth of the internet of sailing one morning, and I asked myself:  'Here is all this endless content being produced, on websites, facebook, etc. etc:  but what the blazes do they get in return, all the journalists, commentators, photographers and videographers; all those who are manning the pumps of the broadband?

It can't be much, for the most part.  'Peanuts' would be an overstatement!  Suppose that the Pharaohs were equally devious, when they had the urge to build pyramids:  "Come out to the desert, and bring a big stone with you!  Then everybody involved will all list you as a 'friend' and say that we 'like' that rock!"

So I decided for my own part that I should put this energy to a slightly better purpose, by trying to improve my exécrable French.  Thereby setting a good example for everyone...

I found a nice sailing-oriented forum, in French of course, and set about the laborious task of honing and polishing the few short sentences which I would dare to present to the regulars; who needless to say are excellent at slangy, indecipherable French, and moreover with their thousands of posts have all attained eminent forum rankings such as 'Tacticien', 'Barreur', and 'Challenger of Record'.  When you start off, then you are just a lowly 'Apprenti', naturellement!  But I reckoned that if I applied myself, then I might soon advance to something better!

How do you say 'dishwasher', in French?

Anyhow, my post count reached 50 today, and then 51, but did it make the slightest difference to my échelon (or lack thereof), anymore than did the 10th, 20th, or 30th posts?

So you see, why I might be indifferent to this fine weather.

On top of that I had the misfortune to watch an instance of  'déjà-vu, all over again' ( I feel obliged to include a link, but you'd be better off not examining it) :  www.prosail.com/videos.html

All that needs to be said is that it looks back on a substantial moment of hype, featuring professionals sailing on big catamarans, in San Francisco!  Years ago...  

I found it a little too close for comfort, not just in relation to some suggestions for the America's Cup, but any others who are casting about with ideas for how to land bigger audience ratings and sponsor interest.   What can they do differently with a better outcome, these insecure Olympic classes, or the F18's, or the Tornado guys for example? The X40's have done everything short of sailing naked, and I don't know how confident even they are, of future sponsorship. 

But the task of coming up with a magic public relations formula so that sailing will attract much more attention, is being closely studied by a committee.

It has its virtues, being in a boat one can afford to keep, in one's spare time!

Too bad all F18's aren't

Too bad all F18's aren't sold with a videocam mounted back behind the stern.

It should be a new class rule. I'd have liked to have seen the starts from various boats in Carnac last weekend. 

Such a lively, tough, photogenic race sans any video coverage, is rather puzzling these days.

Hydroptére says they are going to Cowes in a few weeks...

WHAT is that about !?!?  I did a search now and was not able to find anyone explaining why.

All I can think of is the Round the Island: Wouldn't that be terrific, if they lucked out with the weather!

(PS. Congratulations to your crew James, these text boxes are working now!)

Out of a sense of empathy

Out of a sense of empathy for the remaining stalwarts on SAAC,

who have spent so much time recently, desperately hoping for new info;

Might someone please call their attention to issue 20, page 40, on the following site?

It's been days, painfully waiting for them to discover it...

www.ocean-racing.net 

smiley icon - cool icon - 

A digression, on

A digression, on Traunsee.

One sailor was blogging yesterday about the beauty of Traunsee, Austria, where there will be a very high-profile sailing event from April 29th to May 4th, in the RC44 Austria Cup.

There will be a lot of brilliant photos and video next week, of all the sophisticated racing and lofty scenery. It is a small lake, not much more than 8 miles from Gmunden at one end to Ebensee at the other; an unusual place to assemble such boats and sailors. In its long history, Gmunden was a popular spa while the Habsburgs ruled, and that is the cultural history they build on today.

Traunsee also has a completely repugnant chapter in its history, and in memory of the victims it should be mentioned that May 6th will be the 65th anniversary of when US soldiers came to the rescue of survivors of the concentration camp, in Ebensee.

I include just one brief excerpt here, from an historical report:
"...While located in Gmunden, a town about 35 miles from Salzburg, Upper Austria, a detachment of his* company was ordered to secure the village of Ebensee, a few miles to the south. There they discovered a labor camp used by the German to dig two tunnels into the mountain. Klein describes his own shock and amazement and that of his fellow soldiers at the sights and conditions they witnessed when the camp's prisoners were freed by the American forces. Since they had not known of the existence of concentration or labor camps and had not been told about what they would encounter at Ebensee, the experience was a complete surprise to them."
(*Samuel S. Klein, F-Company, 3rd Cavalry, 20th US Army Corps.)

http://www.holocaustcenter.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id...

More about this 'camp':
http://www.jewishgen.org/ForgottenCamps/Camps/EbenseeEng.html

The Ebensee Memorial:
http://www.memorial-ebensee.at/english/memorial.html

Yes, we're very exclusive at

Yes, we're very exclusive at present. Thanks for your DIY. I've had a 3Di article on the stocks for a while. Will try and get it done in the next week.

The treehouse is finished,

The treehouse is finished, and I'm sitting on its little veranda at the moment, with another beautiful evening to look forward to as the sun begins setting beyond the outer reef of thedailysail forum.

Now that I've been here some weeks, and become more accustomed to this abundance of solitude, one of the few remaining nuisances has been the long daily trek to get fresh water. So last week I started building an aqueduct! There is plenty of bamboo rising to impressive heights nearby, and my first thought was to find a way to knock out the nodes and make piping out of it.
It proved a lot more difficult than I expected, after a day spent making nothing more than a pile of splinters, I figured it would be easier if I just hacked through the jungle to the classified section, and collected the carbon masts and booms and tiller sticks from the dinghies to be found there... I've joined several hundred meters of them now, they make for a splendid aqueduct that even heats the water for me; the Romans would have been shocked at how little it all weighs!
While over among the dinghies I found this interesting article about 3Di. It happens to be in an obscure language, but there are some good pictures... I'm hoping to find some 3Di in the classified section later this year, before the rain season begins; I'll use it to make a fashionable awning over this veranda.

http://www.blur.se/2010/04/23/north-sails-3di/

Next morning, an English version!
http://www.blur.se/2010/04/26/north-sails-3di-english-version/

Today we're offering a

Today we're offering a little multiple choice quiz, dealing with a few current topics:

The initial test for everyone, is to figure out how to enter text in this forum!

Simple yes or no answer is all that's required:

a) will Gavin Brady's stated preference for lifting keels in San Francisco Bay prove prophetic?

b) will the plucky Austrian RC44 amateurs sell a nude calendar, to raise money in their battle with the rich pro teams?

c) while we're on the subject, are current scandals in golf and football (sex-related, of course) about to be eclipsed by steamy revelations from professional sailing?

d) is the J-Class going to accept the Hanuman Challenge, and show up as the new Olympic class in London, 2012?

e) will James Spithill be the surprise helmsman on M1 (Ventilo) 'Banque Gonet' in the next Bol d'Or?

f) will it be included in his video, if the correspondent from Sailing Anarchy gets seasick during his visit on 'Speedboat'?

g) will he choose the windward or leeward rail?

I have cringed any time

I have cringed any time someone has called for the America's Cup to recover its bygone glory, by going back to racing it in J Class boats (that averages out to about a couple of cringes every week).

But I'm beginning to appreciate that these J Class reactionaries, they know whereof they speak. The trouble in Paradise last weekend (see link) has got to be one of the more amazing ultimatums ever fired off within a class of sailboat. Granted, this particular class is tiny, but what they lack in numbers they make up for in most every other category that answers to extravagance.
Dr. Clark has now made his definition of 'gentlemanliness' exquisitely clear: You can offer them room and board, but otherwise your helmsmen should be there for the sheer pleasure of sailing and nothing else.
How to resolve this? Mr de Waal could impress upon Mr. Williams the advantages of finding some unattached female family member, to whom the professional helmsman can quickly be married...

Thereby putting an end to this 'complete farce'?

http://www.yachtingworld.com/supersail/news/450997/hanuman-out-of-antigu...

Such a beautiful

Such a beautiful computer-controlled deck layout.

There are no sheets, winches or anything else to get in your way.

But watch that you don't click on the wrong button!

photos at www.mariaphotos.com!

Kiimball wishes.... (like

Kiimball wishes.... (like we all do). 34th America's Cup not until 2014, that will be seven years since the last multi-challenger AC. Okay so we've only had multi-challenger ACs since 1970, but for the challenger group this will be the biggest gap since the 19 year hiatus over WW2.  Anyway, the AC's loss looks set to be the VOR's gain (which is no bad thing) 

The entertainment business;

The entertainment business; isn't that what Frostad recently said they were part of?
Then you need someone telegenic on each boat, and I'd go for young and jaunty.
I liked the rule that you now have to paint the interior of the boat, giving better light for video - those badly-lit reports from a black dungeon were often painful to watch.
Now that they don't need to restack sails all the time, you could maybe even think of a woman on board?
That would be a 'chemistry' test to look forward to!

Over in San Francisco yesterday, Mr. Livingston seemed intentionally obscure when he wrote:

"And isn’t it interesting that someone at the top is doing so well at limiting top-down chatter about the choice of platform? I mean, boat."

... I can't decide how interesting that really is, but I like the sound of 'platform', more than the sound of 'boat'.

He's thinking there might be some kind of announcement today when the America's Cup holds an event at Strictly Sail Pacific

http://kimballlivingston.com/

That's a stonking idea (as

That's a stonking idea (as we say in the UK). Prince William was on an ancient AC boat during his well-reported foray to NZ recently so I would be surprised if TO hadn't been on the dog to Buck House. 

I am looking forward to the VOR catching up with OC and some of the French races where it is possible to see in real time what is going on on board. Even for an hour a day would be good. On B&Q (and that was eons ago now) the webcams switched themselves on whenever Ellen fired up the Fleet 77 satcom. Hopefully with Groupama's involvement Volvo will also finally get the hang of the concept of the 'radio vacation' where we get to hear from all the boats every day - perhaps they could even do it by video as they did in the last Barcelona World Race. We did a semi-serious April fool last year about the VOR becoming more like a reality TV show - and if it is ever to hit the mass market, in part it must. I reckon Dalts should be on board as the media crewman!

To happily expound on

To happily expound on something I know nothing about, I'd say that Bertarelli is fed up with gigantic exorbitant multihulls for the moment, and greatly looking forward to the sane world of smaller one design D35's. The Race is also a little confusing in concept, whether I try to make out what Bruno Peyron is envisioning in one language or the other...

I was roaming through the rules for the Volvo, like the blind man presented with an elephant - nonetheless, my impression is that it seems they have done a very good job on them, and along with the route changes (now being coastal through the most populous part of the world), the VOR is showing its improved appeal to both sailors and sponsors, and that's another element in addition to those Gladwell was writing about.

Abu Dhabi considers it important to build their projected boat, while the Swiss would find it preferable to do that job at home, if they were going to participate - is why I can't manage to join those dots mentioned above (or below, in this funny forum).

Internet broadcasting is getting so good, I am very much looking forward to see if the VOR can make best possible use of it.
... And isn't there a nautical prince somewhere around your part of the world, who can be signed up as a younger crewmember?
Sponsors would fall over themselves, storming the TeamOrigin offices? 

VOR conjecture Thanks for

VOR conjecture

Thanks for that. Other than the antipodean posse retiring to their giant mansions down under, I haven't heard of a masse Alinghi exodus from Valencia, so it sounds like something is still ticking along there and I see our respected colleague Richard Gladwell is joing the dots between Alnighi and the mysterious VOR campaign out of Abu Dhabi. For Ernesto I would imagine that it is a choice between keeping the team together and getting some sponsorship which would mean Volvo and ultimately a return to the Cup or whether he wants to put his personal desires first - which means multihulls, the MOD70/The Race, as well as the perennial D35s. Alinghi with a bespoke bit of kit in The Race would be pretty damned cool. Personally I like my TeamOrigin do the VOR idea because I know Moose would give his eye teeth to do it, but suspect Sir Keith Mills wouldn't be overwhelmed at the prospect of forking out for it, unless a corporate backer could be found. Perhaps the perfect vehicle to gel the BA-Iberia merger?!

Bertarelli is ready to sail

Bertarelli is ready to sail again.

He's back from a sensible break after the AC33, and given an interview to Jean-Guy Python.

Some of his statements are similar to what he said immediately after the Cup, being very proud of Alinghi's record, and the overall level of improvements in Swiss sailing. He was disappointed with the 2 1/2 years of court battles, where he says the Americans had a native advantage (my words), but is proud of having put up resistance to what he saw as unsportsmanlike intimidation.

He expresses regret that Valencia will not host the AC34, in spite of Ellison having seemed to once promise it would remain there; But his main regret is that Alinghi 5 did not have conditions to use their Code Zero in the races - it being their most effective sail, which they'd been able to use 3 out of 4 days in the warmer smoother conditions in RAK.

"On our return to Switzerland we had a mourning for the America's Cup, it was important. Each sailor had need for a pause, to regain energy and take stock, find who is with you and who isn't."

Now he says he'll turn the page, without closing the book. Decision 35 racing is about to resume, and they are considering the main ocean races; the Multi One Design 70, the Audi MedCup, Oman 100, and Volvo Ocean Race. "We are looking at our options to find what allows us to best exploit our assets and potential."

As he said in February, he's waiting to hear the details before committing to the next America's Cup, and thinks it strange that Ellison/Coutts, who were once so critical of Alinghi's plans, need so much time to present their supposedly better alternative. "They are keeping everyone waiting, and during this time are recruiting the best elements, notably from Alinghi. Unfortunately one can't secure a hundred people, without knowing when and for what one might employ them.... if the game is fair and there will be strong challengers and the rules are clear, then Alinghi will again compete."

Question: "Have you and Russell Coutts buried the hatchet?"

Answer: "In Valencia after their victory, I shook the hand of Russell Coutts, and Larry Ellison, and I did not have a hatchet in the other hand."

That we never got to see racing with that Code Zero is indeed a terrible pity.

http://www.skippers.ch./interviews/article.php?article=282&sousCategorie...

Over Easter I was in deep

Over Easter I was in deep seclusion, and it always does wonders.

Far away, communing with nature. No electricity, no internet, no plumbing, for a week - I know it sounds like a little boat trip but it wasn't;
I could indulge in better food and drink than that usually allows!

Plenty of time for introspection, and the most excellent ideas have a habit of cropping up, whenever I'm compelled to think for more than five minutes without interruption...

A few days ago I was then very happy when it suddenly dawned on me ~exactly~ how to make the 34th America's Cup more interesting!
It's a cottage industry, to come up with ideas for this at the moment.

Some ~have~ already suggested that all members of each team should be nationals... but I don't think that is nearly bold enough.

The rules should also stipulate that all team members be related by blood, or marriage!

Or both!

... Would that pose enough of a challenge for the Kiwi contingent?

I'm already getting tired of reading about all these professional match-racers. What we need is more match-making!

It should offer a welcome new area of focus for the yachting press, and finally allow yachting to establish itself in the tabloids !

America's Cup 34; The Movie

America's Cup 34; The Movie !

For the 34th Cup in San Francisco there's already a great initial soundtrack and plot summary.

For the casting, James Spithill is obviously in the leading role steering - and doesn't he look the part!
A compact version of USA 17 would (sigh) look good there too, wouldn't it?
And the other guys... they would have to be Gavin Brady and Vincenzo Onorato, the scoundrels!

The first three minutes of this (turn up the music), is it not a good example of the close-up suspense the sport of sailing needs to capture, to grow in popularity ?

Think I'm kidding?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-y1VUdnQXo

What is the latest fashion

What is the latest fashion statement at VPLP ?

According to this excerpt from 'Tillerman's' blog:

"... I wrote a post pointing out that the real credit for the win should be given to the "nerds" who had designed the monster trimaran that won the cup. I couldn't resist pricking the over-inflated balloon of American pride in the win by pointing out that many of The Nerds Who Won The America's Cup were not actually American but.... yikes.... French!!! In particular I highlighted the roles of Vincent Lauriot Prévost and Marc Van Peteghem, the two principals in the multihull design firm VPLP.

"Today I received an email from Katrina Kelshall at VPLP saying that they had had a good laugh over my post, and that they weren't ashamed to be called nerds. To prove the point, she attached a couple of photos of what Team VPLP were wearing in Valencia for the Cup: "90 x 90 Dare 2 B Square T-shirts". Get it?"

http://propercourse.blogspot.com/2010/03/french-nerds-read-my-blog.html?...

Don't read this if you've

Don't read this if you've had your fill of opinions regarding the 33rd America's Cup!

In my case, during the amazing preparations for that event, I was sufficiently interested by what was cooking in Switzerland, to even now be wondering what sort of reactions they had in the aftermath.

The Swiss team and media kept their remarks relatively brief after the event; the Winter Olympics quickly seized all the limelight. Over time however, there will be revelations about the nearest equivalent to dueling 'Manhattan-Projects" that's ever been seen, in boat-racing.

Switzerland's multihulls magazine went online yesterday with their most recent issue. On the cover is a view of USA 17 sailing away, with the headline "The Wing of Victory". Here's my translation of the accompanying editorial - if anyone has remarks on the translation, please feel free to correct!

(this is not gossip really, but since it's a story from the SNG support boat, perhaps it almost qualifies)

The Flight of the Cup

Valencia, Sunday 14. February 2010, 17hrs15.

The end of the upwind first leg in the second race of the 33rd America's Cup. On board the boat for supporters of the Société Nautique de Genève, all the passengers have their eyes fixed to the screens which transmit the duel, moment by moment. The atmosphere is one of hope, since Alinghi is leading the race after a starting procedure which was certainly far from the dream conditions of the Swiss contingent, and in spite of a penalty. The tension has reached a crescendo, literally as well as figuratively; on the two maxi multihulls the load alarms provide the rhythm on board.

The wind picks up. At the helm of Alinghi, confronting James Spithill, Loïck Peyron drives with finesse this boat which he knows to the tips of his fingers. The option of "right of way" has permitted Alinghi to delve ahead, but the big black trimaran keeps coming, inexorably. The meters pass by bringing Oracle steadily closer. Suddenly, as though to protect itself from this attack, the red protest flag is raised on Alinghi which isn't leading by more than 250 meters.

The defender of the Cup deploys (the flag), because the racecourse was not quite cleared during the start procedure. A procedure begun barely a quarter-hour before the time limit, in debatable conditions, with a swell particular to this time of year. 17hrs17. The American trimaran tacks, it is now on port tack on the layline leading to the buoy. The two boats advance one against the other in the quest for the Holy Grail. Alinghi V is ahead, on starboard. On board the spectator boat the Alinghi Friends expect the Swiss boat to force USA 17 to tack... Suspense.

The lead Alinghi once had is now just a memory and there is still this penalty. The two boats approach each other, Alinghi is still ahead. Confronted with the race broadcast's graphic map, the faces of the spectators are clenched on board the ex-"Lady Alinghi". BMW Oracle is on the layline and Alinghi passes ahead. They in turn have to tack, a tack that is slow enough, but moreover far too late! Larry Ellison's trimaran passes unrelentingly in their lee... The game is decided, on board the SNG supporter boat, hope gives way to disillusion, an icy disillusion here off Valencia on this St. Valentine's Day. The Cup is about to leave Europe by the stroke of a wing...

At the windward mark, the black American eagle leads by 28 seconds, then offwind the combination of rigid wing and genaker allows them to reach speeds of up to 33 knots. On board, Larry Ellison is carrying the Cup back home, being the first challenger to wrest it away in an America's Cup run under the (default rules of the) original "Deed of Gift".

At 18hrs31, the American challenge wins. On board the SNG boat, a fan of the Alinghi team, seized by emotion, bursts out at us: "That's it... they have flown off from us with the Cup, and in both senses* of the term!" A trophy which was finally contested on the water, as Ernesto wished, but not to a good result... So a question remains: Who has actually returned the Cup to the United States? The court of New York, the rough waters of Valencia, or the technology and sailing team skills of Oracle?
That's just how it is, America will always be a sweet melting pot...

Nicolas Peitrequin

*(to fly off with/steal)

http://www.multicoques.ch/

Another bit of gossip was in

Another bit of gossip was in Matt Sheahan's blog Thursday:

"... the chatter that was doing the rounds faster than a group email, was the rumour that the base of the Auld Mug had been adjusted since the GGYC victory so that the engraving showing Alinghi's last two victories couldn't be seen when viewed from the front.... Cheeky!"

This is perhaps not so much a wicked rumor, as a public service announcement for the benefit of any Kiwi sailors who aren't able to read ?

And naturally someone turned the base around, before installing it at the GGYC, where there would not be enough space to perform such an operation - One of the more delightful things about Valencia, from the point of view of GGYC Commodore Marcus Young, was that onboard the Snapper (37m Sunseeker) he could finally enjoy standing headroom.

That leaves the question of just who may have performed this alleged 'adjustment' to the Cup's base. The main suspects include Coutts, Ellison, and certainly Ehman; and don't forget that Troublé also had opportunity as well as motive... he could have done it, if he got help from Onorato!

But it can't be denied that Marcus Young is the guiltiest-looking of the bunch. He looks horribly guilty, in every photograph ever taken.

Sheahan also mentions that "... it also sounds like that the official rights for the future America's Cup have yet to be passed over..."

Which sounds consistent with this excerpt from what SNG's Fred Meyer wrote on 5th March, to BMW Oracle's Melinda Erkelens:
"To facilitate bringing our disputes to an end and the transfer of the Cup, I reiterate that SNG stands ready to withdraw its challenges to the Deed- compliance of GGYC’s boat, and to exchange a mutual release regarding all claims arising out of the 33rd America’s Cup and all prior Cups."

For the litigiously-minded, there is still hope! But I see the SNG isn't showing any concern for being bankrupted just yet, they are going ahead with a large expansion of their busy harbor.

GGYC, who hardly have parking space, much less a harbor, should be so lucky!

http://www.yachtingworld.com/blogs/matthew-sheahan/447261/big-deal-small...