Hayling Island clubhouse demolished
The two-storey brick building, familiar to dinghy sailors, was built after the Club moved to Sandy Point in 1936. Designed by the late Captain Ivan Snell, MC the club was used by Special Forces during World War II as a training centre.
Hayling Island SC has been a top venue for dinghy events for many years and a mecca for enthusiasts wishing to compete against the best. As well as being home to some of the pioneering development classes, the club is home to large fleets of the new One Design classes and has became a regular venue for national and international championships.
Work starts on the new clubhouse next month (June) and is expected to take a year to complete. In the meantime, a temporary sailing village will ensure that all normal club facilities will be available, enabling Hayling Island SC to maintain a full sailing programme throughout the development. Already the new scrutineering shed has been completed and the dining room and bar transferred there, along with temporary showers, changing rooms and administration offices.
The new sea defences have been completed, additional slipways have been built and the new Race Box is operational.
Hayling Island SC members will get a new state of the art clubhouse, accommodation block and associated slipways etc. Total cost of this is estimated at £4.8 million. Removing expenses already incurred and work to be carried out by members in the future leaves just over £4 million to be funded, of which the Lottery Grant covers £3.3 million.