Foot and mouth update - 0930 - 8/3/01

Latest from the water authorities.Open meetings cancelled or rearranged, more reservoirs closed, but still a few open too

Tuesday March 6th 2001, Author: Sian Cowen, Location: United Kingdom
With little sign of let-up in the foot and mouth crisis, the situation continues to worsen for the inland sailing world, although there are a few rays of light for some clubs still unaffected.


From Nigel Vick
Thames Water have agreed to conduct individual risk assessments for their sites with respect to foot and mouth disease. They are starting with their gravel extraction sites and should get round to sailing clubs soon.

This means that there is the prospect of sailing returning to some sites and on those sites where it is not allowed we will know that there is a logical reason for it and be better able to encourage compliance with the ban.

Open for business

Injebreck boat park
Isle of Man Dinghy Racing Update Dinghies can be collected from the Injebreck boat park at 10.30am on Sunday 11th March. Later Authority officials will be in attendance to disinfect people and boats. Wellies are advisable!

Burghfield SC,
Burghfield SC. near Reading is still open for business, our landlords have taken precautionary action by closing the surrounding paths to ramblers and dog walkers and have no plans to close the access road. We are hosting the cancelled RS400 / RS300 open on Saturday March 17 and a Laser open on Sunday March 18th. Emergency membership is available web

Seahorse Sailing Club
Sailing at the Welsh Harp, Wembley, London with Seahorse Sailing Club and other clubs remains open. As there are no Livestock, it is not expected that we will have to close in the future. The Venetian Open Meeting for GP14s on Saturday 31st March is still being run and entries are invited.

Ardingly reservoir is still open and they have no plans to close it as yet, but they are being diligent and all vehicles and persons are being disinfected when entering the property.

Chichester Yacht Club,
Chichester remains open for its scheduled events in the near future but is monitoring the situation very closely with an appreciation of the critical position throughout the country. The access to the Club is along public roads and crosses no agricultural land. The two final days of the CYC Snowflake winter series on 11th and 25th March are currently expected to go ahead. Visitors from clubs unfortunately unable to sail will be very welcome at Chichester for those days. Preparations for the GP14 Southern Area Championship on 7th and 8th April are proceeding and a substantial entry is anticipated for this first Grand Prix .

Closures and cancellations

Aldenham Sailing Club, within Aldenham Country Park, will be closed until the Foot and Mouth outbreak is under control.

Bury Lake Young Mariners received notice from Three Rivers District Council on Friday 2nd March informing them that Rickmansworth Aquadrome has been closed as a result of Foot & Mouth and they could no longer sail on Bury Lake.

Stanborough Park, which is owned and run by Welwyn & Hatfield District Council, has informed the RYA they too will be closed until further notice.

Draycote Water,
British 420 Class Association Selection Event and Training Weekend Due to the foot and mouth crisis, Draycote Water is currently closed and are unable to hold the forthcoming training and selection/open event there. We have been fortunate in rearranging both these events at such short notice. The training weekend of 10/11th March will now be held at Itchenor SC. If you would like to attend please ring Tani Bassadone on 07710 130212 or e-mail him at The first election event and open meeting on 17/18th March will be held at Hayling Island SC.

Isle of Man Water Authority ,
Isle of Mann Winter Dinghy Racing has been cancelled w/e/f Sunday 4 March. Isle of Man Water Authority has closed Injebreck reservoir until further notice. Dinghies will be retrievable this weekend and disinfectant crew will be attending. It will be resticted acsess so contact your club to find out when boats can be moved.

Aldenham Sailing Club,
Aldenham Sailing Club is affected because we are within Aldenham Country Park which has sheep, pigs and rare breeds of cows. I don't know how long we will be closed, but presumably until the outbreak is under control. Our open meetings this year are Laser on 24 June and Enterprise on 30 September; hopefully it will be sorted by then.David Lambert

Association of North Wales Sailing Clubs,Ken Newing,
Most (All) Sailing Clubs in North Wales close till mid-late March at the earliest anyway.

From Lin Wilson,
Datchet closed on Tuesday evening and they were changing gate locks and everything from that night onwards.

Anglia Water
All properties, waterways, reservoirs and public accesses are closed for the foreseeable future.

RS Classes at Chew Valley Lake SC
The RS200, 600 and 800 open meeting scheduled for Chew Valley Lake SC for 10 March has been cancelled following advice from Bristol Water. The club's Winter Handicap Open on 11 March is also cancelled, but the club is certainly planning on holding the RS event later on in the year.

Olympic Classes at Rutland
Rutland Water is currently closed due to the foot and mouth outbreak and could affect the Europe, Finn, 470 and Tornado classes which are due to hold a National Ranking qualifier there over the weekend of 17/18 March.

The RYA is to review the situation this Friday (9th March) although if Rutland remains closed there is a strong likelihood that the event will be moved to the Weymouth and Portland Sailing Academy. Whilst Rutland Water has been closed to sailing the grounds, club premises and chandlery shop are open as usual. Vehicles will be disinfected when they arrive at the premises.
Spinnaker SC
Spinnaker Sailing Club has been closed as of this morning (Being in the New Forest, Surrounded by agricultural land, and being a site of Special Scientific Interest rather sealed it !). Anyway, all events up to and including 18th March have definitely been cancelled. (Including the final UKTRA qualifier on the 10th). We will wait a bit longer before pulling the plug on the European Inter-club event on the 24-25th March, but it looks increasingly unlikely to take place.In addition to sailing being stopped, all movement of boats and vehicles has also been prevented, and pedestrian access will be for emergency reasons only.

Rugby Sailing Club
Due to an outbreak of foot and mouth disease in Northamptonshire, Drayton Reservoir has been closed. Therefore the Enterprise Open Meeting planned for 18th March 2001 is cancelled.

Ullswater Yacht Club is closed, with no access until mid-April at the earliest.

Grafham Water Sailing Club
We have now been advised that no one is allowed to go sailing and the clubhouse, chandlery and cafeteria have now also been closed.

Frensham Pond Sailing Club
is closed for two weekends. March 3/4 and 10/11. The "Frensham Frenzy" open pursuit event has been postponed as a result. Situation will be reviewed on 13 March.

Alton Water
The reservoir at Stutton (Anglia Water) has been closed with two races still to be sailed in the series.

Farmoor reservoir
Thames Water has closed the reservoir near Oxford, despite the local amenity manager seeing no reason for the closure. Footpaths around the reservoir had been closed for three days and there is direct vehicular access to the sailing club.The decision appears to have been taken by someone high up in the company, according to madforsailing's source.

Weir Wood SC
The club is closed until further notice. Commodore Tom Haddon has issued the following restrictions:
* The Fireball and ISO Open Meeting scheduled for March 10/11th is cancelled.
* The water is closed for sailing until further notice.
* The Clubhouse is closed until further notice.
* No boat should be brought to the Club.
* If you must take your boat away (eg for an open meeting or repairs), then do so with care but DO NOT bring it back until the 'All clear' has been notified.
* The 'Allclear' will be notified by letter and by e-mail. The status of the Club can be checked on the club website.
* Those members rostered for duties for the weekend 10/11th March and thereafter until further notice will stand down. All duties will be re-rostered for later dates.

Latest Comments

Add a comment - Members log in


Latest news!

Back to top
    Back to top