Yachtsmen and women of the year
Established in 1961 by US Sailing and sponsored by Rolex Watch, U.S.A. since 1980, the Rolex Yachtsman and Yachtswoman of the Year awards recognise outstanding on-the-water achievement in the calendar year just concluded. Generally acknowledged as the sport’s highest individual accolade in the United States, the Rolex Yachtsman and Yachtswoman of the Year awards have honoured the likes of John Kostecki, Steve Fossett, Cory Sertl, Betsy Alison, Paul Cayard, Dennis Conner, Dawn Riley and Ted Turner.
The nominees, determined by the membership of US Sailing, will be reviewed by a panel of noted sailing journalists, who together will discuss the merits of each nominee and vote by secret ballot to determine the 2003 Rolex Yachtsman and Yachtswoman of the Year. The winners will be honoured at a luncheon at the New York Yacht Club in New York City, on February 6, 2004, where they will be presented with Rolex timepieces.
Nominees for the 2003 Rolex Yachtsman of the Year are:
- Snipe World Champion Augie Diaz (Miami, Fla.)
- Pan Am Games Gold Medallist Tim Healy (Newport, R.I.)
- ISAF Match Racing World Champion Andy Horton (Shelburne, Vt.)
- J/80 World and Lightning World Champion Jay Lutz (Houston, Texas)
- Laser Master and Snipe North American Champion Andrew Pimental (Newport, R.I.); - - Around Alone Race winner in class two, Brad Van Liew (Mt. Pleasant, S.C.);
- Etchells 22 World Champion Ken Read (Newport, R.I.), who has previously won
this award in 1985 and 1994.
Nominees for the 2003 Rolex Yachtswoman of the Year are:
- Rolex International Women’s Keelboat Champion Sally Barkow (Nashotah, Wis.);
- U.S. Women’s Match Racing Champion Liz Baylis (San Francisco, Calif.), who previously won this award in 2002;
US SAILING’s Women’s Champion Joni Palmer (Annapolis, Md.);
ISAF Youth World Gold Medallist Paige Railey (Clearwater, Fla.);
Yngling World Champion Hannah Swett (Jamestown, R.I./New York, N.Y.).