Will they ever get this blasted race away?

Once again conditions refuse to allow the two Italian teams to race reports James Boyd from Auckland

Tuesday October 22nd 2002, Author: James Boyd, Location: Australasia
A certain amount of the frustration is to be felt around the Viaduct Basin today as the two Italian pretenders - Prada and the 'Latin Rascals' TIM Mascalzone Latino were yet again unable to race this time due to strong winds on the Hauraki Gulf.

After much deliberation this match will now be sailed on a shorten course of 12.5 miles at 10.30am local time tomorrow (Wednesday) prior to the start of Round Robin Two at around lunchtime tomorrow. This, of course, is still condition dependent. At present the forecast looks set to be 12-15 knots from the southwest, but this is Auckland.

Today at 12.00 the Race Committee opted to delay the start in winds that were solidly 25 knots and gusting towards 30. This was substantially more than the 19 knots average true wind speed for a 15 minute period allowed under the Notice of Race.

The Race Committee waited until 3.00pm before abandoning racing for the day.

Click here to see the line up for tomorrow's racing.

Latest Comments

Add a comment - Members log in

Tags

Latest news!

Back to top
    Back to top