Kilroy leads Farr 40s
"It's shifty, it's tough and everyone is having a great time," said John Kilroy. Kilroy and his Samba Pa Ti gained valuable finishes of 5-1-2 to surge into the lead of the 17-boat Farr 40 fleet. Only two races remain to be sailed and it will come down to "the very last beat and last run of the last race," predicted the 1999 Farr 40 world champion. "To put it in perspective the boat that was winning yesterday (Virago) is now in third. That's the way it should be. That's what is great about Farr 40 racing."
Despite a win in the second race, Kilroy wasn't always assured the win. "It was a tough start," he said. "We found a hole and got going, but then we got behind on a shift. And then ahead on the next shift, then behind and ahead, and finally, we won the race. (Tactician) Paul Cayard did a great job."
Nerone, owned by Italians Massimo Mezzaroma and Antonio Sodo Migliori used strong finishes of 3-3-5 to move into second position, only 4 points behind Samba Pa Ti.
Jack Lefort's Off the Gauge team continued with its consistent sailing form to remain at the top of the Mumm 30 class. Two-time Rolex Yachtsman of the Year Ken Read, who insisted that this is more of a vacation with friends, called the tactics that led to 3-1-2 finishes, giving them a 14-point lead over second place Tramp, owned by Tom Ritter.
Despite strong finishes of 2-2-1 by Ritter, Lefort has the class's North American championship well within reach.
"We're shooting for a win," said Read. "The last time Jackie sailed a regatta was two years ago here in Miami and he won the North Americans."
Peter Davidson and the Farr 395 Shades of Gray continues to lead the Open Class. Two races are scheduled for tomorrow, the final day, with the Rolex Award Ceremony to follow racing.
Farr 40 (Top 5 of 17)
Place, Boat Name, Owner, Hometown, Race 1- 2- 3, Total points
1. SAMBA PA TI, John Kilroy, Los Angeles, Calif., 2-1-12-6-9-3-5-1-2, 41
2. NERONE, Mezzaroma/Sodo Migliori, Rome, Italy, 4-7-6-10-3-4-3-35, 45
3. VIRAGO, Stuart Townsend, Chicago, Ill., 3-4-2-2-4-6-14-4-11, 50
4. BARKING MAD, Jim Richardson, Boston, Mass., 1-11-4-5-8-1-2-13-7, 52
5. SHADOW ROCK, Geremia /Stoneberg, Orinda, Calif., 13-2-1-14-1-9-10-12-1, 63
Mumm 30 (Top 5 of 9)
1. OFF THE GAUGE, Jack Lefort, Stuart, Fla., 4-2-1-4-1-1-3-1-2, 19
2. TRAMP, Tom Ritter, Bloomfield Hills, Mich., 6-1-5-2-8-6-2-2-1, 33
3. USA65, David Pyles, Easton, Md.,1-3-7-1-2-5-4-6-7, 36
4. TEAM BOLD, Nelson Stephenson, Southport, Conn., 8-8-2-3-4-4-1-4-3, 37
5. TEAM INTERMEC, Dan Cheresh, Holland, Mich., 2-6-4-6-5-2-6-3-5, 39
1. SHADES OF GRAY, Peter Davidson, 1-1-1-1-1-1-2-2-2, 12
2. SPINAL SHOCK, Gordon Donald, Fairhaven, N.J., DNC-DNC-DNC-DNC-DNC-DNC-1-1-1, 21
Title sponsor is Rolex Watch U.S.A. Organizers include the Storm Trysail
Club, Mumm 30 and Farr 40 Class Associations. Avalon Majestic Hotel is the
official hotel. North Sails and Lewmar are supporting sponsors.