Karleen Dixon pulls ahead
"We were fast, we had good teamwork, and we always had good starts," said Dixon. "Sixty seven boats is a lot of boats. It was great practice for us today with all the general recalls."
A total of three recalls plagued race three, and one of those plus the final start imposed the black-flag penalty on 11 boats for starting prematurely.
Above: Paula Lewin
"Two bullets and one bite; that is the summary of the day," said Alison, noting that after five races, a throwout will be allowed. "We were over the line in the third race, so that was the end of it, but we weren't alone."
Alison led at all marks of the two-lap windward-leeward course in race one. At one minute and a half before the second start, she fell backwards out of her boat. Managing to get back aboard, she had to trail the fleet for a while before finding a shift that carried her to the top mark in first position.
"It wasn't a straightforward day," said Alison. "The wind was shifty, with different pressure across the course. We worked hard to stay in phase and we had great speed."
An Annapolis team skippered by Lorie Stout won race three, after the wind lightened to 12-14 knots. Paula Lewin edged out San Diego's Mary Brigden by a hair at the finish to take second place in the race.
The Rolex International Women's Keelboat Championship continues tomorrow with two scheduled races and concludes Friday.
Day One, Top 10 provisional results after three races -- 66 Boats
Overall Position, Skipper/Team Name, Hometown, Race 1, Race 2, Race 3, Total
1. Karleen Dixon/The Lion Foundation, Auckland, New Zealand, 2-6-4, 12.00 points
2. Mary Brigden/Team San Diego, San Diego, Calif., USA, 15-4-3, 22.00
3. Paula Lewin, Paget, Bermuda 4-23-2, 29.00
4. Dominique Provoyeur/Team Orion, Cape Town, RSA, 13-9-7, 29.00
5. Kylie Jameson/Team Jameson, Auckland, New Zealand, 17-7-8, 32.00
6. Sally Barkow/Team Seven, Nashotah, Wisc., USA, 8-10-15, 33.00
7. Susan Meredith/Team Citizens First Financial, Annapolis, Md., USA 11-8-23, 42.00
8. Derby Anderson/Hoyas On the Half Shell, Annapolis, Md., USA, 19-12-12, 43.00
9. Kirsten Zillmann, Lakewood, Ohio, USA, 27-5-13, 45.00
10. Lorie Stout/Stougear, Annapolis, Md., USA, 18-27-1, 46.00