To court on Wednesday
The Court confirmed today that it will hold a hearing next Wednesday, April 2nd. “From the very beginning this whole process has been about stopping the defender from imposing a wholly one-sided set of rules on the Cup that was strongly opposed by the great majority of challengers,” Tom Ehman, the club’s spokesman said. “From the outset the defender has denied the real issues at stake, rejected reasonable compromises supported by the majority of teams and sought further delay at every turn.
“The court has confirmed our challenge as valid and we are very pleased the court is now giving prompt attention to fixing a date for the race, which the defender is again seeking to delay.
“We believe that the right date for the match, under the rules set out in the Deed of Gift, is October 2008. As other challengers have also said, the sooner we get on and race this match the sooner we can all get back to a conventional America’s Cup regatta that includes all teams.“
Ehman said Ernesto Bertarelli’s repeated recent protestations that he now needed more time to get ready for the race were contradicted by Bertarelli’s own statements to reporters in December last year that Alinghi were even then preparing for a multihull duel on the water in July 2008.