America's Cup - day 4 - don't hold you breath

Another day lost to light, fickle breeze

Saturday February 22nd 2003, Author: James Boyd, Location: Australasia
At present (10am here in New Zealand) race four of the America's Cup has been postponed and race officer Harold Bennett has instructed both teams to stay in port until further notice. We are expecting a fresh update at 12.30.

The forecast at present is that a high pressure (1024mb) is positioned over the central Tasman Sea (to the west of us here in Auckland) and is due to move east to lie over New Zealand by Sunday. A low pressure over the Chatham Islands (so way to the southeast) will clear to the east. Winds are forecast as being SSW 7-11 knots (although at present it is much less).

For tomorrow with a high pressure over New Zealand, the only chance of racing getting underway will be if the northeasterly sea breeze fills in, but this will have to have happened by 3.30.

Downtown Auckland meanwhile is teeming with people, clad in black emblazoned with their 'loyal' regalia. There is a slight sense here of the agony being prolonged...

11:45 update. The wind is dying - it is not looking optimise for a start today

12:25 (local) - Harold Bennett confirms that there will be no racing today. "There is 1.9 knots here at the moment from about 120deg. All around us it is absolutely flat. We don't see anything for later today either."

Harold Bennett says he is more hopeful for tomorrow.

Here is the weather chart for tomorrow (Sunday)

Latest Comments

Add a comment - Members log in

Tags

Latest news!

Back to top
    Back to top