Light breeze in USVI
St. Thomas Yacht Club.
With 97 boats competing, the Rolex event is celebrating its 30th season and has drawn its enthusiastic racing contingent from the islands (46 entrants), Puerto Rico (22), the U.S. (19), UK (9) and Spain (1).
The IC24 class featured some of the tightest racing, since the hybrid boats - with J/24 hulls and Melges 24 decks - are evenly matched one-designs. St. Thomas' John Holmberg, a perennial favourite at this regatta in the catamaran division, is making his debut in the IC24 Stinger and had a solid first day to lead the 13-boat fleet.
"We bumbled the start in the first and second races and came back to finish first and third, respectively," said Holmberg. "Then in the third race, we were right there on the starting line, right on time."
Finishing third overall in Spinnaker Racing Class 1 was four-time Rolex Regatta winner Carlo Falcone aboard the Custom 44 Caccia Alla Volpe. Although the boat hails from Antigua, the crew is mainly Italian and includes Falcone's son Shannon Falcone, fresh from his stint with the America's Cup campaign Mascalzone Latino.
"Light winds are not our conditions," said Shannon, who pointed out that his father's most recent victory here was two years ago in heavy air and the team recently won the St. Croix International Regatta in heavy air. "We also have a wide range of boats and handicaps in our class." Leading the fleet is Richard Matthew's Flirt.
Racing continues tomorrow and concludes Sunday with the Coral World Race, a distance race that shows off the beauty of the islands.
Racing - Over 50 Ft. (2 entries)
1. Donnybrook, Cstm 72, James Muldoon, Washington, DC, USA, 4 pts.
2. Equation, Andrews 68, Bill Alcott, Detroit, Mich., USA, 5 pts.
Spinnaker Racing 1 (13 boats)
1. Flirt, Cstm 49, Richard Matthews, Ipswich, UK, 3 pts.
2. NOA X-Base, IMX45, Soren Holst Thomsen, Palma de Mallorca, ESP, 7 pts.
3. Caccia Alla Volpe, Cstm 44, Carlo Falcone, Antigua, 10 pts.
Spinnaker Racing 2 (10 boats)
1. 2 Contact Carib,Melges 24, Frits Bus, Phillipsburg, St. Maarten, 4 pts.
2. Slam, Melges 24, Robbie Ferron, St. Maarten, AHO, 6 pts.
3. Don Q Limon, Melges 24, Enrique Torruella, Guaynabo, PUR, 9 pts.
Spinnaker Racer/Cruiser (16 boats)
1. Cold Beer 3, Tartan Ten, John Schultheiss, Tortola, BVI, 4 pts.
2. Pipe Dream, Sirena 38, Peter Haycraft, Tortola, BVI, 5 pts.
3. Dehlerious, Dehler 34, Bungie Flynn, Tortola, BVI, 10 pts.
Non-Spinnaker Racing (7)
1. Serendip, Prima 38, Craig Dymock , London, UK, 2 pts.
2. Wildflower, Sabre 402, Ron Noonan, Marion, Mass., USA, 4 pts.
3. Igoodia, Jeanneau 52.2, Milt Baehr, Incline Village, Calif, USA, 8 pts.
Jib and Main (8 boats)
1. Nemesis, Hunter 42, Edwin Romeo, Fajardo, PUR, 4 pts.
2. Far Cry, Clipper 31, Herve Chassin, St. Thomas, USVI, 7 pts.
Trial Cat (1 boat)
1. Cover Shot, Cstm 33, Roger Webb, Miami, Fla., 3 pts.
Beach Cats Spinnaker (7 boats)
1. Movie Star/Suzuki, Olympic Tornado, Enrique Figueroa, San Juan, PUR, 3
2. Yellow, Nacra 6.0, Richard Bliss, Mansfield, Mass., USA, 4 pts.
3. Century 21, Terry Jackson, Olympic Tornado, St. Thomas, USVI, 5 pts.
Beach Cats - Non-Spinnaker (14 boats)
1. Exodus/Ensysa, Hobie 16, Enrique Figueroa, San Juan, PUR, 7 pts.
2. Lolo Too, Hobie 16, Anton Guernica, San Juan, PUR, 7 pts.
IC24 (13 boats)
1. Stinger, IC24, John Holmberg, St. Thomas, USVI, 7 pts.
2. Green Boat, IC24, Carlos Aquilar, St. Thomas, USVI, 7 pts.
J/24 (6 boats)
1. Orion/Coors Light, J/24, Fraito Lugo, Ponce, PUR, 3 pts.
2. Tax Return, J/24, Carlos Feliciano, Caguas, PUR, 8 pts.
3. XX-TU, J/24, Juan Jose Mari,, San Juan, PUR, 9 pts.