Match race worlds format
12 skippers will be invited to the event that will run from 24-30 August, according to the following criteria:
- the top nine skippers of the ISAF World Match Race Ranking list, posted on
July 8, 2003.
- the two finalists of the XXXI America's Cup (Russell Coutts and Dean
- the defending ISAF Match Racing World Champion (Karol Jablonski, Poland).
The event will run with the following format:
- double round robin, where all skippers sail each other twice.
- semifinal, where the top four skippers from the round robins race againts
each other in a best-of-three knock out series.
- petite final, where the two losers of the semifinal race againts each other
in a best-of-three series, in order to determine third and fourth placing.
- final, where the two winning skippers of the semifinal race againts each
other in a best-of-three series to determine the world champion.
The schedule of the week will be as follows:
- Sunday 24 August: registration, crew weighing; practice. Party in town.
- Monday 25 August: registration, crew weighing; practice. Opening ceremony.
- Tuesday 26 August: Racing Day 1.
- Wednesday 27 August: Racing Day 2. Regatta dinner.
- Thursday 28 August: Racing Day 3.
- Friday 29 August: Racing Day 4.
- Saturday 30 August: Racing Day 5. The ten best placed skippers at the end
of the final will compete in the Sanpellegrino sponsor fleet race. A regatta
dinner, the official prize giving ceremony and fireworks will follow.