34th America's Cup launched
Highlights from the 34th America's Cup press conference in Rome which has just concluded.
* New design of yacht - currently concepts being drawn up for a Monohull by Bruce Nelson and a Multihull by Morelli and Melvin. Decision to be taken by competitors/teams
* Yacht is to be fast, physically demanding and hooked up with cameras and microphones for live onboard experience
* Yacht must work on television and trials will take place in the coming months to explore concepts
* Collaboration with World Sailing Teams Association (Louis Vuitton Cup) to provide annual racing series
* Coutts: "Larry is open to take this America's Cup to any venue" - Venue to be decided by end of year
* Protocol published end of August. NoR and SIs end of December. Last entries until end of Jan 2011
* 2013-2014 For next Cup
* Coutts: "to have 8 or 10 very competitive teams is fantastic" - quality over quantity
* Neutral race management who have more authority
* BMW Oracle will not race in Challenger Selection Series at venue
* Defence will be open to other American Teams
* Races designed for Television with start time and finish time to fit schedules
* Coutts hinted that previous significant commercial partners are now interested in returning to AC34
More detailed analysis follows.