No racing today
A light unstable breeze which blew from just about every direction of the compass, and never reached any more than seven knots, finally scuppered the penultimate day of racing at the Region of Sardinia Trophy in Cagliari.
If the weather proved unkind, not fulfilling the role which was asked of it on what could have been a decisive day, the final day of the 2010 Audi MedCup season does look promising. A northeasterly Mistral wind of between 15 and 25 knots would, if it arrives as forecasters currently suggest, offer perfect conditions for the season’s finale.
The planned start time for Saturday has been moved forward to 1200hrs, midday, in an effort to allow three races for both the 42 Series and the 52 Series fleets.
The lack of racing today was bitter-sweet for Guillermo Parada and the crew of Matador. In the quest for the Region of Sardinia Trophy the lack of racing strengthens the hand of Matador to win the regatta, but leaves them potentially three races to overturn the six points deficit on Quantum Racing tomorrow if they are to capture second place for the season’s Audi MedCup Circuit.
Karol Jablonski (POL) and the crew of Synergy (RUS) are also within reach of their first regatta podium finish of the season, lying second by just 2.5 points ahead of Quantum Racing.
They are likely to consider that attack is the best form of defence as they also have Audi A1 powered by All4ONE (FRA/GER) pursuing their sixth place overall for the season, chasing only 7.5 points behind.
Nacho Postigo, Technical Director Audi MedCup Circuit commented: “ Tomorrow it looks like the small low pressure should have passed through and the skies should clear. Together with the clearer skies we should see a little bit of Mistral. This morning the forecast (for tomorrow) showed 20-25 knots all day, but the latest model updates show it a little bit lighter, maybe 15-20 knots. So it is still very difficult to say which model will be true, but I think that either way we are going to be able to do three races in good wind.”
María Torrijo, PRO of the Audi MedCup circuit added: "The wind's been shifting all day due to the storm, and besides it hasn't really picked up, seven knots the most. We've registered 180 degrees shifts in a very short period of time and that's made us take the decision not to race. The committee boat's been on the water the whole day. Tomorrow's forecast has improved and it seems we'll have between15 and 20 knots."
Region of Sardinia Trophy results
TP 52 standings
1. Matador (ARG), 2+8+2+1+5+1+1,5= 20,5 points
2. Synergy (RUS), 6+5+3+4+1+5+7,5= 31,5
3. Quantum Racing (USA), 9+3+7+2+6+4+3= 34
4. Emirates Team New Zealand (NZL), 8+2+1+10+2+3+9= 35
5. Audi A1 powered by ALL4ONE (FRA/GER), 5+1+5+6+3+11(DNF)+6= 37
6. TeamOrigin (GBR), 7+4+4+8+4+2+10,5= 39,5
7. Bribón (ESP), 1+9+8+3+8+3(RDG)+8(RDG)= 40
8. Artemis (SWE), 3+6+10+5+9+8+4,5= 45,5
9. Cristabella (GBR), 4+10+6+9+7+6+12= 54
10. Luna Rossa (ITA), 10+7+9+7+10+7+13,5= 63,5
1. Madrid – Caser Seguros (ESP), 1+2+1+1+1+1= 4 points
2. Islas Canarias Puerto Calero (ESP), 4+1+3+2+2+3= 15
3. AIRISESSENTIAL (ITA), 2+4+2+3+4+4= 19
4. Península Petroleum (GBR), 3+3+4+4+3+2= 19