RC44s first US visit
Miami is to host the sixth and final regatta of the RC 44 Championship Tour 2010 taking place over 7-12 December. Organized by the RC 44 Class Association, the Oracle RC 44 Cup Miami will feature an impressive 14 boats.
The event will be special in many ways. In particular it will be the first ever RC 44 regatta to be held in the USA. It will see a record number of participants and it will be the culmination of the season, with the overall, fleet and match race titles awarded to the best teams and sailors of the year.
The Oracle RC 44 Cup Miami will start on 7-8 December with match racing, which will feature some of the world’s top names in this discipline such as Terry Hutchinson and Paul Cayard and America’s Cup winners Russell Coutts and James Spithill. As usual the second part of the event taking place over 10-12 December will be fleet racing, with the team owners at the helm.
The RC 44 Championship Tour 2010 will be awarded to the best team in the combined fleet race/match race results.
With this final event to go, the 2010 leaderboard is currently topped by Larry Ellison’s BMW Oracle Racing, however Pieter Heerema’s No Way Back (NED), James Spithill’s “17” (USA) and Torbjorn Tornqvist’s Artemis (SWE) are within reach and will be fighting hard to grab the title.
The first regatta of the RC 44 Championship Tour 2011 will also take place in the US, in San Diego, on 2-6 March and five RC44 teams will compete in Key West Race Week in January.
ORACLE RC 44 Cup Miami – List of entries:
1. BMW ORACLE Racing (USA) Larry Ellison/Russell Coutts
2. 17 (USA) William Douglas/Jimmy Spithill
3. No Way Back (NED) Pieter Heerema/Ray Davies
4. Team Sea Dubai (UAE) Harm Müller-Spreer/Markus Wieser
5. Katusha (RUS) Guennadi Timtchenko/Paul Cayard
6. Ceeref (SLO) Igor Lah/Rod Davis
7. Artemis (SWE) Torbjorn Tornqvist/Terry Hutchinson
8. Team Aqua (UAE) Chris Bake/Cameron Appleton
9. Mascalzone Latino (ITA) Vincenzo Onorato/Francesco Bruni
10. AEZ RC 44 Sailing Team (AUT) René Mangold/Christian Binder
11. Islas Canarias Puerto Calero (ESP) Daniel Calero/Jose Maria Ponce
12. Peninsula Petroleum (ESP) John Bassadone/Inaki Castaner
13. Synergy Russian Sailing Team (RUS) Maxim Logutenko/Evgeniy Neugodnikov
14. Ironbound (USA) David Murphy / Ian Williams