20 teams for the New York YC Invitational Cup
Since it started in 2009, the New York Yacht Club Invitational Cup presented by Rolex has successfully reignited the tradition of international Corinthian competition between yacht clubs.
The biennial event returns to Newport from 7-14 September this year will fuse five days of intense racing with a glamorous social schedule for competitors visiting Newport, RI from around the globe.
As usual the 20 yacht club teams will race one-design NYYC Swan 42s – identically tuned and equipped with supplied sails – on Narragansett Bay and Rhode Island Sound.
Along with the 2011 champion, the Royal Canadian Yacht Club, returning to defend its title, the fleet will include the host club and 15 invited international clubs, plus three American yacht clubs determined by a qualification series held last autumn.
Competitors must be non-professional (Corinthian) sailors and members of the yacht clubs they represent; they must also be nationals of their countries. For 2013, the New York Yacht Club Invitational Cup presented by Rolex will welcome competitors from the following yachts clubs.
Making return visits are:
- the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia (AUS)
- Japan Sailing Federation (JPN)
- Nyländska Jaktklubben (FIN)
- Real Club Nautico de Barcelona (ESP)
- Royal Canadian Yacht Club (CAN)
- Royal Cork Yacht Club (IRL)
- Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club (HKG)
- Royal Thames Yacht Club (GBR)
- Royal Yacht Squadron (GBR)
- Yacht Club Argentino (ARG)
- Yacht Club Italiano (ITA)
New to the event are:
- Royal Belgian Sailing Club (BEL)
- Royal Freshwater Bay Yacht Club (AUS)
- Royal Southern Yacht Club (GBR)
- Royal Swedish Yacht Club (SWE),
They will be joined by the three clubs that came out on top in the 24-club US Qualifying Series held at NYYC:
- Larchmont Yacht Club
- San Francisco Yacht Club
- Seattle Yacht Club