AC challengers meet
Oracel Team USA hosted a meeting in London with four of the (five) teams who have entered the 35th America’s Cup or plan to by the entry deadline of 8 August 2014: Luna Rossa, Artemis Racing, Team France and Ben Ainslie Racing.
According to an official statement: A positive meeting saw a number of points debated, the key points agreed between all parties present were:
- Regular meetings encompassing all teams in order to work collectively to maximize the potential of both this America’s Cup and future editions.
- Each team plan to host an America’s Cup World Series event in either their own country, or a country of their choice.
- All the teams present agreed that they would commit – if they were to win the Cup in 2017 – to continue with the America’s Cup World Series.
- A commitment to further reduce the costs for both this Cup and future editions.
- Support for the choice of host venue, be it Bermuda or San Diego.
- A working group to agree on the date and event structure of the 36th America’s Cup, to lay the foundations for a sustainable event.
Emirates Team New Zealand was absent from the meeting.
The final point is interesting as it suggests - finally - that there may at last be a possibility of continuity between America's Cups.