Doing the Splits
Second were Magic Sailing Team with Ivan Straus at the helm, followed by Nevio Sabadin's Italian team, Barcolana in third.
The start was at 11am off the Croatian port of Porec taking the boats 26 miles along the coast.
The weather at the start of the race was good, with a 13 knot wind from the southwest.
In these conditions the start was spectacular with all the boats hitting the start line on the button within meters of each other. With a week of racing under their belts, the teams are getting more and more competitive.
City of Aquileia, City of Dubrovnik and Scor Team, due to a mistake in their interpretation of the race rules, didn't round a clearance mark placed in front of the isle of Saint Andrija. The teams who missed the mark had to return and round the
mark properly costing them vital time on the water and ultimately in the overall results.
It was a great effort and result for the Clementei team of Alberto Rizzi, who came in fourth place leaving America's Cup skipper Peter Holmberg aboard BMW Tomic in fifth.
The start of the sixth leg is planned for Sunday morning at 11 o'clock and
will be the longest leg of the entire tour, at 130 miles.
Overall results and cumulative times:
1. SPLIT NEVEN GASPIC 34:25.27
2. BMW TOMIC PETER HOLMBERG 35:23.33
3. BARCOLANA NEVIO SABADIN 36:14.45
4. CITY OF AQUILEIA MARCO AUGELLI 37:21.40
5. CLEMENTEI ALBERTO RIZZI 37:27.19
6. SCOR TEAM DARKO HAJDINJAK 37:51.45
7. MAGIC SAILING TEAM IVAN STRAUS 38:37.32
8. ALCATEL ANTE VANJAKA 39:34.45
9. VAL NAUTICA WOMEN SABRINA BREDA 40:20.32
10.FRIULI VENEZIA GIULIA MARCO SARTORI 41:13.05
11. DUBROVNIK GORAN ZUGOVIC 41:26.46
12. SIBENIK DAVOR PIASEVOLI 42:15.21