Suidoos into the lead
Robin Green on Julie III and Keith Mattison’s FTI Flyer trail Suidoos by just under 100 miles. According to Mattison, they are thoroughly enjoying every minute of the trip so far.
In the Rally fleet, where boats are allowed to motor a total of 200 miles during the race, skipper Grant Saunders has helmed Albacore into the lead after covering 124 miles during the twenty-four hours up till 09h00 South African time this morning. She is followed by Port Elizabeth entry Inyoni and Aquila from KwaZulu Natal. Inyoni reported that microphone problems were behind their radio silence yesterday.
The Brazilian entry Acalantis is back at sea and their injured crewmember Rudoldo Carrere is still awaiting a flight to Milan.
Top contender for line honours in the monohull class, Dr Hasso Plattner’s maxi Morning Glory, arrived in the Mother City today after being freighted from France. She’ll be launched on Wednesday and will immediately go out for sea trials to test her new sails. According to project manager Dee Smith, they should be in shipshape for the second start of the race on Saturday, 11 January 2003.
RESULTS: 7 JANUARY
POSITION ON HANDICAP, YACHT, SKIPPER, LONGITUDE, LATITUDE, TOTAL DISTANCE, DISTANCE SINCE LAST REPORT, AVE SPEED, HANDICAP POSITION
1. SUIDOOS 2, Gawie Fagan, 28deg51.0S, 9deg 52.0E, 532 miles, 164.9 miles, 6.87knots
2. JULIE III., Robin Green, 30deg 9.0S, 10deg 47E, 449 miles, 156 miles, 6.5 knots
3. FTI FLYER, Keith Mattison, 31deg42.0S, 434 miles, 153.1, 6.38 knots
4. INDABA, John Levin, 29deg43.0S, 11deg3.0E, 452, 161.4, 6.73
5. SAFARI – CTW, David Tideswell, 30deg 58.7 S, 10deg 28.4 E,439, 142.7, 5.95
1. ALBACORE, Grant Saunders, 31deg 56.0S, 10deg 54 E, 397, 124.3, 5.18
2. INYONI, Hein Ferreira, 30 deg 21S, 11deg 48 E, 398, 132.4, 5.52
3. AQUILA, Jon Thurlow, 30 deg 13 S, 11deg 15 E, 426, 152, 6.33
4. NAUTY 40S, Falk Graser, 30deg 59S, 11deg 53 E, 374, 88.5, 3.69
5. CUMIN THRU, Alexander Smith, 31deg 26S, 14 deg22E, 253, 252.6, 10.53
6. ACALANTIS, M Tattavitto, 31 deg 49S, 13deg 35E, 274, 142.4, 5.93