Still no start date
In the absence of a break in the weather over the next 48 hours, the race committee of the Mini Transat has decided to bring the fleet back into Port Rhu where there are more comfortable facilities to endure the wait. The race was scheduled to set sail from Douarnanez on Sunday.
Yesterday’s proposal to gather in Gijon on the north coast of Spain before passing Cape Finisterre has been temporarily abandoned. Finally, a color-coded system for all those interested in the race has been set up to warn of the possibility of imminent departure. Explanations.
To understand the weather situation, imagine a dividing line from the Breton peninsular to Cape Finisterre. This highway at present is being swept by strong to very strong southwesterly headwinds. At the moment the winds are particularly strong between the Ortegal peninsula and Cape Finisterre, where gusts of over 50 knots are expected in the coming days.
This weather conditions have led the race committee not to go ahead with the option of a stopover in Gijon. Given current projections, the risk was too great that the fleet would find itself stuck in the Asturian port, unable to safely navigate the 180 miles separating Gijon and Cape Finisterre in strong westerlies. This option only works if the competitors spend two to three days in port there before rounding the northwestern tip of Spain.