Mini Transat...still not started

However the organisers are now recalling competitors to Douarnanez

Wednesday October 23rd 2013, Author: James Boyd, Location: France

The Mini Transat race organisers have decided to switch to 'Code Orange'. This means that the race can be started on Friday 25 from 06:00. For now the orgqanisers are still considering two possible scenarios depending on the evolution of the weather.

Code Orange means that the organisers are calling competitors who have gone home, back to Douarnenez . However, the weather situation remains complex. The powerful storm system that has been sweeping the Bay of Biscay seems to be evolving with a switch to the north west on Monday that suggests two possible outcomes.

First scenario is a start on Friday and a stopover in Gijon. Weather files allow a clear opening in the weather for about 48 hours from Friday. This is enough time to rally the fleet in the Northern Spanish, but does not allow for a safe rounding of Cape Finisterre. Thus, the first leg would be divided into two sections with a fresh start from Gijon on Tuesday 29 October. In this case, it will be a transition to code green tomorrow.

The second scenario involves a weather window glimpsed in the forecast for next Monday. If confirmed this could be large enough to allow a period of three days in which the whole Mini fleet can cross the Bay of Biscay and pass Cape Finisterre. This solution is obviously easier for the competitors and organisation alike. But confirmation is needed that this weather window will not close as quickly as it has opened. In the case of a start on Monday, the fleet would return to a code red on Thursday.

Denis Hughes, Race Director commented: "The situation is moving and could you go into more manageable conditions. Nevertheless , we must explore all opportunities and know the options. That is why we are working on two assumptions. The simplest course would be to send the fleet on a single leg. But today we do not have sufficient clarity about next week to put all our eggs in one basket . That is why we have decided to mobilize the competitors around a possible departure on Friday. If we are certain that the window on Monday is good, then we will leave on Monday. When in doubt, we leave Friday. At least we are making steps forward on the road ... "

Latest Comments

Add a comment - Members log in

Tags

Latest news!

Back to top
    Back to top