Transat Jacques Vabre start delayed
After a constant and careful analysis of the weather forecasts for Sunday, the organisers of the Transat Jacques Vabre have taken the decision to postpone the start until Monday 4th November at 1415.
The Class40, IMOCA 60 and Multi 50 fleets will head off from Le Havre on the 5,400 mile long course direct to Itajaí, Brazil. The two MOD70s will sail a coastal course before standing by in Le Havre’s Paul Vatine basin waiting for their departure date - Wednesday.
“The weather conditions would be really too difficult and we don’t think it is a good idea to start in conditions which we would consider unsafe. And the MOD70’s should start on Wednesday,” maintains Manfred Ramspacher, Sports Director for the Transat Jacques Vabre organisers.
The appearance of a new depression over the English Channel on Sunday night into Monday has prompted the decision to delay the start of the 11th Transat Jacques Vabre by 25 hours. be made between Ramspacher, Race Director Sylvie Viant and Chairman of the Race Committee Christophe Gaumont.
The fast passage of this depression leaves behind it moderate northerlies Monday mid-morning leading to a marked improvement in the sea state in the Channel compounded by strong tides. In fact the Atlantic is peppered by depresions following one another east on an almost daily basis across the North Atlantic. In Le Havre tomorrow lunchtime the forecast is for strong westerlies of 25-30 knots gusting to 40-45 knots.
On Monday the Class40s and IMOCA 60 monohulls, the Multi 50 and MOD 70 multihulls will race a short course to Sainte-Adresse before reaching down the Channel towards Ushant. However the MOD 70s will return to Le Havre to wait for two days for their start scheduled for Wednesday at 1200 UTC.
The fleet will not really enjoy gentler conditions until they pass the latitude of Lisbon, but before that they will have three fronts to negotiate before getting into good reaching weather after Cape Finisterre in 25-35 knots.