Start postponed again

Wednesday or Thursday departure for Transat Jacques Vabre looking possible

Sunday November 3rd 2013, Author: James Boyd, Location: France

With a forecast suggesting squalls of up to 50 knots from Monday night and into Tuesday, the race organisers of the Transat Jacques Vabre have decided to postpone tomorrow’s scheduled start to a later date.

Current Thursday is considered a possibility. The doublehanded race down the Atlantic from Le Havre to Itajaí, Brazil has a strong legacy as a multi class event and the race directors are resolute in their determination that the entire four classes fleet compete in the best possible conditions.

Sports Director Manfred Ramspacher explained: "The entire organisation has made the decision to postpone the start until a more favourable situation arrives, which could be Thursday. Winds of 30 to 50 knots are forecast, which could endanger the skippers and their boats. We are well aware that classes such as IMOCA could start, but our main concern is the overall safety of the crews.

“Our decision is based on the forecast that shows we could get away from Le Havre, but in tough conditions and some with uncertainly off Cherbourg, at Ushant, and some very difficult conditions at the start of the Bay of Biscay crossing. Our first aim is to ensure we can get maximum number of boats finishing Itajai.

“We must maintain this solidarity in the event. The possibility of starting Wednesday or Thursday is not for certain. We think it can happen, but it is still uncertain. The MOD 70 are still programmed to start on Wednesday or Thursday, we will decide in consultation with them.
An IMOCA race might have been able to start, and I can understand their disappointment, but we are a multi-class race."

Latest Comments

Add a comment - Members log in

Latest news!

Back to top
    Back to top