Photo: Stefano Gattini / Studio Borlenghi / ROLEX

Maxi boat carnage

Southerly buster takes its toll on Rolex Sydney Hobart fleet

Saturday December 26th 2015, Author: Jim Gale, Location: Australia

This first night was always going to be the toughest part of the 2015 Rolex Sydney Hobart with the forecast of a southerly buster - 25 to 30 knot winds with big gusts against a south flowing current, in the pitch black of night.
The first victims were CEX Dolce, Pierre Gal and Doug Gayford’s modified Inglis 47, with a broken mast, and, sensationally, Wild Oats XI, at around 10pm (local) - a bitter ending for the defending line honours champion, Australia’s best hope against the rampaging American maxis, Comanche and Rambler, and the most successful yacht ever in the race’s 71 year history. She tore her mainsail in a squall of 40 knots.
Minutes later there was another bombshell: Comanche radioed into the race officials at the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia that she had suffered damage to a daggerboard and rudder.
Then another maxi - Perpetual Loyal - pulled out with rudder damage, forlornly turning back towards Sydney as she did last year with delamination problems on the first evening - a devastating blow to owner Anthony Bell, who has ridden every emotion possible at the helm of the big black super maxi in recent years and exited the Harbour in the lead just yesterday afternoon.
Also Sydney bound are St Jude, Noel Cornish’s Sydney 47 (another rudder damaged) and Peter Wrigley and Andy Kearnan’s TP52 Koa, with steering issues.
In the midst of all this drama Rambler 88 has seized the day. The American maxi is about to enter Bass Strait, six miles ahead of Comanche, with the last surviving Australian maxi, Ragamuffin 100, a further 19 miles astern and the Giovanni Soldini-skippered modified VO70 Maserati, just behind Syd Fischer’s boat.
If Rambler 88 survives the final hours of this southerly unscathed, she will be well and truly sitting in the box seat when the winds lighten off and the huge wetted surface of the broad beamed Comanche comes into play.
CEX Dolce is heading to Jervis Bay after breaking her mast, while the other retired yachts are now making their way back to Sydney. All crews are well, and it is remarkable, a credit to the sailors and their boats, that after such a wild night, only 10 yachts have been forced out of the 71st edition of the race.
But as the bodies at the front of the fleet mount in this Agatha Christie of a race, there are bound to be more plot twists to come. And there were.
As we went to press, at 6.28am, Rob Drury’s Cookson 12 Pazazz retired with mainsail damage, James Whittle’s Hanse 495 Takani retired with rudder damage and was waiting to be towed by Water Police and Brindabella also reported mainsail damage and has retired, as she did last year.  It is believed all three will head back to Sydney and all are safe. This leaves 95 boats racing.


Latest Comments

Add a comment - Members log in

Latest news!

Back to top
    Back to top