Campbell-James wins youth match race
Conducted in the waters off Newport Harbor, California from July 16 through July 21, the Governor's Cup was a true test of match-racing in all conditions.
The United States Junior Match Racing Championship is a yacht club challenge and features a team competition in a match-racing format with on the water umpiring. The event was sailed in Santana 20's, twenty-foot spinnaker equipped keel sloops with a crew of three and over 120 matches were contested.
The event started with a round robin where every team sailed each other once. By the end of the round robin Campbell-James, Cherry and Burgoine had 11 wins and no losses with their nearest opposition being the Royal Prince Alfred YC with 8 wins and 3 losses, closely followed by the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron (7 and 4). There was a three-way tie at this stage for 4th between the Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron, Fort Worth Boat Club and Mission Bay YC all on 6 wins, with the Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron (RSYS) getting the fourth slot on the tie-break. These 4 teams went on to sail the semi-finals with the British boys choosing the Mark Dorling’s 4th placed team for their opposition.
The Brits and team from the RSYS went on to contest the final. Campbell-James, Cherry and Burgoine had by now won all the matches they had sailed, many by a huge margin, but a couple needed the team to pull out all their match racing skills to out smart their opposition with the final race in the final being the most exciting. However at the end they remained undefeated in the 15 races they had sailed and were comfortable winners.
As in the past, the Governor's Cup served as a national qualification event with the top two U.S. teams advancing to the Worlds in New Zealand the following February. The British will have their qualifier for the Worlds in the middle of August at Weymouth and Portland Sailing Academy where Campbell-James and his boys will have to beat the best in Britain to be able to compete at the Worlds.
1. Royal Yachting Association, Chichester, West Sussex, England Helm: Paul Campbell-James
2. Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron, Sydney, Australia Helm: Mark Dorling
3. Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron, Auckland, New Zealand Helm: Simon Minoprio
4. Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club, Sydney, Australia Helm: Dan Corlett
5. Mission Bay Yacht Club, San Diego, California Helm: Piet VanOs
6. Fort Worth Boat Club, Fort Worth, Texas Helm: Charles Higgins
7. Rochester Yacht Club, Rochester, NY Helm: Mike Wilde
8. King Harbor Yacht Club, Redondo Beach, California Helm: Scott DeCurtis
9. Annapolis Yacht Club, Annapolis, MD Helm: Jose Fuentes
10. Balboa Yacht Club, Corona del Mar, California Helm: Carson Reynolds
11. Golden Gate Yacht Club, San Francisco, California Helm: J.V. Gilmour
12. St. Petersburg Sailing Center, St. Petersburg, FL Helm: Evan Brown