12 teams head for Long Island
The Knickerbocker Cup is one of only two ISAF Men’s big boat match racing events in the United States, and the only one on the east coast. Qualifying Rounds take place over Thursday, 25 August-Saturday, 27 August with finals scheduled for Sunday, 28 August.
Canadian Terry McLaughlin along with Phil Gow, Geoff Moore and Allan Megarry are back to defend their title after winning the Knickerbocker Cup the past two years. Also returning are Scott Dickson (USA), Christian Hamilton (GBR), Laurie Jury (NZL), Martin Angsell (SWE), Simon Minoprio (NZL), and Peter Wibroe (DK).
- Brian Angel (USA), King Harbor Match Racing Team. ISAF Ranking 121. 1st US MRC Qualifier (2005), 3rd J-World Match Race (2005), 7th Hardy Cup (2005), 2nd Bermuda Gold Cup Qualifier (2004), 9th Bermuda Gold Cup (2004).
- Martin Angsell (Sweden), Harken Match Racing Team. ISAF Ranking 35. 9th Knickerbocker Cup (2004), 5th Knickerbocker Cup (2003), 6th Internationaux de France de Match Racing, and 4th Land Rover Cup, Portugal.
- Mark Campbell-James (Great Britain). ISAF Ranking 22. 2nd The Mermaid Match Racing Championship (2005), 3rd JP Morgan Fleming Winter Challenge Final (2005), 1st JP Morgan Fleming Winter Challenge (2004), 1st RYA Ntnl Match Racing Championships Final (2004), 1st America’s Cup 150th Jubilee Regatta
- Scott Dickson (USA). ISAF Ranking 25. 1st Southern California Matchrace Championship (2005), 4th Bermuda Gold Cup (2004), 1st Ficker Cup (2004), 3rd Knickerbocker Cup (2004).
- Christian Hamilton (Great Britain). ISAF Ranking 42. 2nd Zingst Cup (2005), 1st Westfalen Cup (2003-2004), 4th Knickerbocker Cup (2004), 3rd UK Nationals (2003).
- Laurie Jury (New Zealand), Kiwi Match. ISAF Ranking 41. 1st Harken Cup (2002), 1st Hardy Cup (2003), 1st Wasa Open (2004), 2nd Cowes Youth Week (2004), 3rd Warren Jones Cup (2004), 6th Match Race Lugano (2005).
- Terry McLaughlin (Canada). ISAF Ranking 170. Winner Knickerbocker Cup (2003, 2004). 1st Canada Cup (2001, 2003), 1st Canadian Yachting Association’s Rolex Sailor of the Year (2001), 1st Olympic Silver Medal, Flying Dutchman (1984), 1st York Cup Matchracing Championship (1993-1996, 1999, 2002).
- Simon Minoprio (New Zealand). ISAF Ranking 24. 1st Warren Jones Memorial Trophy (2004), 5th NZ Match Racing Nationals (2003), 1st AUS Match Racing Nationals (2003), 8th World Match Championships (2004).
- Matteo Simoncelli (Italy). ISAF Ranking 13. 420: National Champion, Italian Team (1989-199), 470: National Champion (1996), Italian Olympic team (1996). Best ISAF results: 5 events won (2004), 1 event won (2005).
- Jonathan Singsen (USA). ISAF Ranking 210. New to match racing, Jon and his team had steadily improved their placement in the ISAF rankings. Jon also competes nationally and internationally in one design keel boats.
-Peter Wibroe (Denmark). ISAF Ranking 35. 6th World Youth Match Racing Championship (2003), 1st Petit Danish Open (2004), 4th Nordic Match Racing Championship (2004), 1st Danish Youth Match Racing Championship (2002-2004), 6th Danish Open (2004).
- Ian Williams (Great Britain). ISAF Ranking 9. 7th Match Race Germany (2005), 7th Marseille International Match Race (2005), 2nd Palio de Mare, Palermo (2005),1st JP Morgan Fleming Winter Match Race Q4 (2005), 2nd JP Morgan Fleming Winter Match Race Final (2005), 1st Doyle Match Race (2004).