Rolex Farr 40 North Americans
Defending champions Warpath, owned by Fred & Steve Howe (San Diego, Calif.), and the 2008 World Champion Mascalzone Latino, owned by Vincenzo Onorato (Portoferria, Italy) will not be competing. However, any of the boats have a chance at winning in this strict owner-driven, one-design class, including two-time World Cup holder Jim Richardson (Boston, Mass. /Newport, R.I.) on Barking Mad; 2003 World Champion Massimo Mezzaroma (Rome, Italy) on Nerone; and HRH Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark on Nanoq, who finished fourth in the 2008 Worlds held on the same waters last April.
There will be plenty of Olympic, Volvo Ocean Race and America’s Cup talent throughout the competitive fleet, serving as tacticians and filling key roles for professionals, including Terry Hutchinson, who returns to his tactician role on Barking Mad after a successful season on the Audi MedCup TP52 circuit. No stranger to international competition is Jonas Werrer, the Olympic Gold Medalist in the 49er from Denmark, who will fill the role of tactician on Nanoq while regular tactician Bouwe Bekking helms his Telefonica Blue in the Volvo Ocean Race. Talented sailors in the fleet include Bill Hardesty and U.S. Olympian Debbie Capozzi on Donald Wilson’s Convexity (Chicago, Ill.), Morgan Larson on William Douglass’s Goombay Smash, Cameron Appleton and Volvo Ocean Race veteran George Peet on John Demourkas’s Groovederci, Tony Rey on Alex Roeper’s Plenty, and Vasco Vascotto on Nerone.
Making their debut in one design racing will be Sedat Gulcaglayan and Haluk Babacan, a dentist, from Al Tunizade, Istanbul, Turkey with their Farr 40 Team Oguzhan. To put together the team’s program they brought in North Sails’ Dave Scott, who went to Turkey this past summer to race with them in IRC-rated events. The team’s ultimate goal is to compete in the 2009 Rolex Farr 40 World Championship to be held at the Yacht Club Costa Smeralda in Porto Cervo, Italy.
Title sponsor of the Rolex Farr 40 North American Championship is Rolex Watch U.S.A. with support from SLAM and Harken as well as Edgewater Boats and Southern Spars, both divisions of North Sails.
2008 Rolex Farr 40 North American Championship
Preliminary Entry List
Farr 40, Owner/Helm, Hometown, Tactician (T), crew
1. Barking Mad, Jim Richardson, Boston, Mass./Newport, R.I., Terry Hutchinson (T), Morgan Trubovich, Skip Baxter, Zack Hurst, Linda Lyndquist, Derby Anderson, Marty Kullman, Curtis Florence, Tony Rankin
2. Convexity, Donald Wilson, Chicago, Ill., Bill Hardesty (T), Hanz Pusch, Mel Parker, Jonathan Farrar, Matt Cassidy, Debbie Capozzi, Sarah Renz, Lars Hansen, Krista Paxton
3. Goombay Smash, William Douglass, Morgan Larson (T), Marco Constant, Brian Fisher, Andy Estcourt, Jim Munks, Brian Keeshan, Jesse Fielding, Stu Pollard
4. Groovederci, John Demoukas, Santa Barbara, Calif., Cameron Appleton (T), Luke Malloy, Brett Jones, George Peet, Johnny Goldsbury, Nate Campbell, Brian Pistay, Diego Gomez Hall
5. Nanoq, HRH Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark, Jonas Warrer (T), Anders Myralfs, Theas Palm, Carl-Erik Kjaersgaadard, Kasper Helweg-Larsen, Jesper Riise, Emil Wester, Christian Jensen
6. Nerone, Antonio Sodo Migliori / Massimo Mezzaroma, Rome, Italy, Vasco Vascotto (T), Massimo Bortoletto, Victor Marino, Paolo Bottari, Cesare Bazzetti, Jacopo Bagnaschi, Simon Cardinali, Giulio Scarselli
7. Team Oguzhan, Sedat Gulcaglayan / Haluk Babacan, Al Tunizade, Instanbul, Turkey, Arda Baykal (t), Bilge Kerem Ozkan, Burak Zengin, Zahit Sozen, Kaya Dinar, Serdar Caliskan, Dayra Kinik, Dave Scott
8. Plenty, Alex Roepers, Greenwich, Conn., Tony Rey (T), Chris Bush, Steve Inman, Darren Jones, Jon Upton, John Traut, Alan Nakanishi, Van Walke, Jaqueline Schmitz