Nerone wins after two races
Victory in the first leg of the Farr 40 European circuit has gone to Massimo Mezzaroma’s Nerone (ITA) with tactician Vasco Vascotto. Racing in the event, organised by the Yacht Club Costa Smeralda from 25-27 June, did not take place today due to the lack of breeze off Porto Cervo, Sardinia. Yesterday’s overall classification after three races is therefore valid for the series and Mezzaroma is followed in second place by Plenty (USA), owned by Alexander Roepers, with Barking Mad (USA), owned by Farr 40 class President Jim Richardson in third.
The Farr fleet will be back in Sardinia at the end of Septmber for the second leg of the circuit, scheduled to be held in Porto Rotondo from 30 September until 3 October.
The regatta was characterised by unusually light winds for the area, but the fleet was able to sail one race on Friday and two yesterday in approximately 10 knots of northerly breeze. Back ashore the ten participating teams were treated to the customary YCCS social programme which included a welcome cocktail at the Clubhouse and refreshments in the Piazza Azzurra each day after racing.
Farr 40 European Circuit - 1st Series
1. NERONE Massimo Mezzaroma Massimo Mezzaroma, ITA,1,1,2, 4.00
2. PLENTY Alexander Roepers Alexander Roepers, USA,2,3,4, 9.00
3. BARKING MAD James B. Richardson James B. Richardson, USA,7,5,1, 13.00
4. STRUNTJE LIGHT Wolfgang Schaefer Wolfgang Schaefer, GER,4,2,7, 13.00
5. ENFANT TERRIBLE Alberto Rossi Deep Water Association, ITA,3,4,6, 13.00
6. FIAMMA Alessandro Barnaba Alessandro Barnaba, ITA,5,6,5, 16.00
7. CHARISMA Nico Poons Nico Poons, MON,6,8,3, 17.00
8. MANGUSTA RISK Andrea Canavesio Andrea Canavesio, ITA,10,7,9, 26.00
9. VANITAS CUBE Martin Strobel Martin Strobel, SUI,8,10,8, 26.00
10. HOOLIGAN VI Edward Brodway Edward Brodway, GBR,9,9,10, 28.00