M2 cats to leave Switzerland in 2012
Lake Geneva’s 28ft long M2 catamarans (read more about these here) with assistance from class partners Safram and TeamWork, will expand into France and Italy from next year.
The new M2 catamaran season championship – the Safram-TeamWork M2 Speed Tour – will benefit from an ambitious and dynamic concept in 2012. New destinations - France and Italy - new courses, new teams: the class is evolving and modernising, echoing the latest trends and thus remaining at the cutting edge.
With 28 high tech one-design catamarans already built, and 16 already confirmed for next year’s championship, the M2 Speed Tour will be one of the world’s top dynamic multihulls circuits in 2012.
"Our goal is to carry on organising a competitive championship, while remaining attractive and innovative for the owners," said Rodolphe Gautier, President of the M2 class. "That's why we will compete in events in Hyeres and participate in the prestigious Centomiglia on Lake Garda. At the same time, we will still compete in Lake Geneva’s classic regattas: the Bol d'Or Mirabaud and Geneva-Rolle-Geneva."
Faithful to its pioneering spirit, the M2 class will adopt new racing formats as seen this year on the America’s Cup World Series, including short (30 minutes) races, reaching starts and rounding marks located near the shore to maximise the show for spectators. A two longer offshore courses, with the catamarans pulled up onto a sandy beach at lunchtime, is also planned for the regatta in Hyères.
The Safram - TeamWork M2 Speed Tour 2012 will comprise seven regattas: the Grand Prix of the Mediterranean, the Raid de Porquerolles, Geneva-Rolle-Geneva, the Bol d'Or Mirabaud, the Grand Prix Genolier, the Italian Grand Prix and Centomiglia.
Class partner Safram will provide the teams with complimentary trucks and drivers in order to facilitate the transport of the boats to the Mediterranean in May, and Italy in September.
Besides the arrival of new Swiss German crews, the participation of international teams is also expected as some M2 catamarans might be provided to the best local teams in France and Italy.
Safram - TeamWork M2 Speed Tour 2012: Program
1. Grand Prix de Méditerranée, Hyères (17-20 May)
2. Raid de Porquerolles (19 May)
3. Genève Rolle Genève (9 June)
4. Bol d'Or Mirabaud (16-17 June)
5. Grand Prix Genolier du Léman, Morges (30 June - 1 July)
6. Grand Prix d'Italie, Gargnano, Lac de Garde (6 - 9 September)
7. Centomiglia, lac de Garde (8 September)
Safram - TeamWork M2 Speed Tour 2012: Participants
1. SUI 2 SSC Group (Jean-Pierre Ziegert / Pierre Quinodoz)
2. SUI 3 FLAM Gestion (Clarin Mustad / Steve Tinguely)
3. SUI 5 Parmigiani (Bertrand Geiser / Christophe Stamm)
4. SUI 7 KSR (Didier Pfister / Luis Sanjuan)
5. SUI 11 Gouzer Huitres (Yves Gouzer / Xavier Lambert)
6. SUI 13 ex. Banque Piguet (Olivier Schenker)
7. SUI 16 ex.Banque Heritage (Pierre Bachelin / Philippe Durr)
8. SUI 17 Tilt (Alex Schneiter / Charles Favre)
9. SUI 20 TeamWork (Antoine Thorens / Olivier Légeret)
10. SUI 21 ex. Team 21 (Yvan Ducrot / Nicolas Denervaud)
11. SUI 23 ex2 (Michel Paquet / Alain Tissot)
12. SUI 24 Patrimonium (Christoph Syz / Nicolas Rossier)
13. SUI 26 Victorinox Swiss Army (Daniel Monnier)
14. SUI 33 Genolier (Michel Vaucher)
15. SUI 131 Valruz Création (Claude Berger / Yvan Bourgnon)
16. SUI 666 SAFRAM (Rodolphe Gautier/ Axel Meyer)