Double victory for Oracle Team USA Spithill
Oracle Team USA Spithill rebounded from last place at the first turning mark of the Super Sunday fleet race finale to win the America’s Cup World Series San Francisco Championship.
Spithill and crew Dirk de Ridder, John Kostecki, Jono MacBeth and Joe Newton were last off the start line, but fought their way back through the fleet. They rounded the last windward gate first and held on for a 17-second win over teammates Oracle Team USA Coutts.
Spithill won 40 points for the race and totaled 79 points for the series. That put the crew tied on point with Ben Ainslie's team on JP Morgan BAR for the series championship, which placed fourth in the final race. Spithill won the championship based on the final race finishes.
“The difference is the four guys on the front of the boat,” said Spithill, referencing his crew. “We were dead last off the start line but it didn’t faze these guys. We have a real team of fighters here. We’re really, really happy.”
Oracle Team USA Spithill put an emphatic stamp on this regatta. Yesterday the crew won the Match Racing Championship after capsizing and breaking frames in the wingsail during a fleet race. The crew also won the August AC World Series San Francisco Championship by 1 point, previously the closest finish at an AC World Series event. The tiebreaker surpasses that mark.
“We’ve always said we need to be able to come from behind and overcome adversity,” said Spithill. “I thought I gave them that yesterday with the capsize, but it's really a sign of a strong team. The shore crew, our coaches, it's been a fantastic team effort.”
The Terry Hutchinson-steered Artemis Racing–White finished third in today’s race and finished third overall. Emirates Team New Zealand placed fourth overall and Oracle Team USA Coutts fifth.
AC World Series San Francisco Fleet Racing Championship (After 7 of 7 races)
1. Oracle Team USA Spithill (Jimmy Spithill) 8-1-6-5-DNF-2-1 – 79
2. J.P. Morgan BAR (Ben Ainslie) 1-3-1-2-4-1-4 – 79 points
3. Artemis Racing – White (Terry Hutchinson) 10-2-2-1-3-3-3 – 72
4. Emirates Team New Zealand (Dean Barker) 2-8-5-6-1-4-7 – 57
5. Oracle Team USA Coutts (Russell Coutts) 3-5-8-7-8-10-2 – 56
6. Artemis Racing – Red (Nathan Outteridge) 4-4-4-4-9-8-5 – 52
7. Energy Team (Loick Peyron) 6-7-7-3-6-7-6 – 47
8. Team Korea (Peter Burling) 5-9-10-8-2-5-10 – 40
9. Luna Rossa Piranha (Chris Draper) 9-6-3-10-10-6-9 – 36
10. China Team (Phil Robertson) 7-10-11-9-5-11-8 – 28
11. Luna Rossa Swordfish (Iker Martinez) 11-11-9-11-7-9-11 – 20
AC World Series San Francisco Match Racing Championship
1. Oracle Team USA Spithill
2. Emirates Team New Zealand
3. Artemis Racing – White
4. Artemis Racing – Red
5. Oracle Team USA Coutts
6. Energy Team
7. J.P. Morgan BAR
8. Team Korea
9. China Team
10. Luna Rossa Piranha
11. Luna Rossa Swordfish