Women's International Match Racing Series
The Women's International Match Racing Series has been announced.
The Series will feature
- five high-level women’s match racing events in 2013
- prize money at each event and
- an overall prize pool of at least US$ 50,000 for distribution after the finale in Lysekil.
“The women sailors have asked for a long time to have a Series of their own and WIMRA is thrilled to be in a position to work with our international event partner to make this happen”, says WIMRA Executive Director and former Match Racing World Champion, Liz Baylis.
“The Weymouth Olympics highlighted the spectacular nature of match racing and the Women’s International Match Racing Series is going to take that to new heights. With events in France, Korea, Denmark, the United States and Sweden, spectators will be able to experience in person the excitement of the top women sailors dueling on the water.”
Events on the 2013 Women’s International Match Racing Series:
- Saint Quay Women’s Match Racing – St Quay, France – Elliott 6m - 15-19 May.
- Busan Cup International Women's Match - Busan, Korea - K 30 - 6-9 June.
- Danish Open Women's Event - Copenhagen, Denmark - J/80 - 20-23 June.
- New York Women's Invitational - Oakcliff, New York, USA – SM 40 - 11-14 July.
- Lysekil Women's Match - Lysekil, Sweden - DS 37 - 5-10 August.
The enthusiasm and excitement about this new development is spread throughout the sailing world:
“I think it's a fantastic opportunity for us to continue to improve in this class and I’m sure that the organizers and spectators will experience a great spectacle, good racing and enjoy the match race as it happened at the Olympics,” said Támara Echegoyen the London 2012 Olympic Gold Medallist
“All the competitors I have spoken to before and after the Olympics are keen to continue Match Racing and many have scores to settle, so I'm sure the title will be fiercely conteste,” added Lucy Macgregor, former Women’s Match Racing World Champion
“Match racing is an exciting and challenging sailing discipline, and the enthusiasm and expertise within the WIMRA organisation will surely result in a competitive and captivating series,” said ISAF Vice President Adrienne Greenwood.