Around Alone updates

Emails from Stamm, Kent and Schwab

Tuesday February 25th 2003, Author: Andy Nicholson, Location: Transoceanic
“In theory, everything is coming together.”

At 150 miles from Port Stanley, Bernard has begun to regain his equilibrium and sense of humour. “I’m making 6 knots upwind in 10 knots of wind with one reef in the main and the ORC, oh I hope nobody sees me! You wouldn’t believe how slow this feels.”

At the Falklands, contact has been made, thanks largely to Philippe Poupon who knows the people and resources there needed to assist. The team assembled on the Island have all the equipment necessary to get working on the boat as soon as Bernard docks. “I’ve spoken to a guy called Karl, there’s not much more that I know. They sound like they know what they’re doing after our telephone conversation, so in theory everything is coming together, all I want to do now is get there. Right now the conditions are okay for me, the wind will creep up to 25 knots, so I hope we’ll be alright. I’ll be arriving upwind so I will be getting a tow onto the port itself. The repair is holding but how it grates the keel, it’s horrible.”

Karl and his colleagues are already in preparation mode and apparently half the Island are aware now of Bernard’s imminent arrival and the urgency of the situation.

Bernard expects to arrive at Port Stanley around midday local time tomorrow (16:00GMT) during the day. “I’ll need at least half a day to get the repair done I think.”

Ocean Planet in the Around Alone - Update
Tuesday, February 25, 2003 1310gmt
Lat: 55 31S, Lon: 75 18W

The low pressure past just southwest of us last night as predicted, giving us winds up to 50kts with wild seas and breakers. Other than having to repack flying gear and food a couple times, Ocean Planet made it through unscathed. Thankfully, as that should be the final major weather hurdle before we reach Cape Horn tomorrow. The wind is now down to the upper 20's to mid 30's and I have changed back to the working jib from the staysail in order to keep the pace up. The rollers and occasional breakers are still here but much less severe than last night. That was the worst I've had the luck to see in my sailing days, and I guess it is fitting that it would be near Cape Horn! There are still some nasty looking squalls on the horizon, but hopefully they won't be too bad.

Hope to send pics of the Horn tomorrow. After that, I just have to stop
somewhere, fix the boom and deck, and sail to Brazil, piece of cake.....;-)

Bruce and Ocean Planet

Attached pic: This wave is a couple hundred feet away...

Everest Horizontal


7:26 am Central, 1326 GMT Tuesday, February 25, 2003

Well, we're getting there; 1,106 miles to the Horn. The weather has been fairly benign over the last 24 hours. I am under single reefed main and the solent, and am likely going to shake the last reef in a moment as the wind seems to be stabilizing between 25 and 30 knots, occasionally dropping off to 20. Off the wind like I am right now, the full main is fine. It will be the first time that I've had the full main up since the headstay let go.

Other than the dead heater, life on board is pretty good. I have to deal with the chronically leaky water ballast system, which is worse on this leg than ever. I have gone all over the boat tightening clamps, but to no avail. I scoop and sponge up about eight gallons of water every day from the main cabin of the boat. It soaks socks and wrecks books that get dropped (or ejected during crash gybes) into it. Just a constant annoyance more than anything else.

I have a confession to make; I overslept this morning. I had had a hard time sleeping for the last couple of days, and crawled into the rack last night, clutching my alarm clock. I slept right though it and sailed on a bad gybe angle for about three hours. I jumped out of the bunk, into my gear, and gybed before doing anything other than taking a long hit of water.

We are on a great angle to the Horn right now and have knocked off a couple of miles in that direction while I have been writing this. Believe it or not, the leg is not yet half over; another 300 miles before that milepost is reached. Yes, it's a long way to Salvador from here, and still 3,000 miles after the Horn. I am still at least four and a half days
to the Rock.

For any of you who live in the Milwaukee area, bring yourself down to the Music For Mountains fundraiser for EVEREST HORIZONTAL. It is tomorrow night, Wednesday the 26th, at the Milwaukee Ale House from 7:00 pm until...?

Live music, EVEREST HORIZONTAL t-shirts and hats will be on sale, and you
can tell all sorts of unbelievable sailing stories - or listen to them.
Don't miss it.


Latest Comments

Add a comment - Members log in


Latest news!

Back to top
    Back to top