Recent comments from Members

• 06/11/2013 - 09:49
    In response to: Twiddling thumbs in Gijon
    Will be a shame for all the other competitors who have sailed their boats to spain to have someone arrive by road, potentially win the leg, and therby the Transat. Not really fair. Nothing against Sam, but something has to change in the rules for all ocean racing classes as this type of thing is entirely too common.
  • 02/11/2013 - 16:59
    Fantastic video. It's quite noticeable how the foil keeps the bows up!
  • 25/10/2013 - 15:34
    Great article, James. Just one thing, there's two "i's" in Michigan, not an "e". Respectfully, A Proud Michigan Sailor
  • 24/10/2013 - 19:17
    That you can even write such an interesting article again points to the fact that AC34 was a real game changer!
  • 24/10/2013 - 08:43
    Thank's James !
  • 23/10/2013 - 17:22
    Excellent article as ever. . . it makes me wonder how far he can go in discussions with potential sailors/designers right now. He presumably must have done quite a bit of this?
  • 21/10/2013 - 10:33
    Did I have too much "sauce" last night - I seem to be hallucinating after reading this article (from 2010)
  • 21/10/2013 - 10:27
  • 21/10/2013 - 08:55
    this is a story from the 2010 Race!
  • 19/10/2013 - 20:12
    I thought the mainsheet track had an automatic release system?
  • 16/10/2013 - 20:27
    In response to: Still no start date
    Common sense to not start an ocean race with a forecast of a potential 40 knots of wind and 3m to 4m sea state?! Would you sail across the atlantic or around the coast of Europe in a boat that you did not feel confident in being able to beat off lee shore in 40 to 50 knots of wind? In my limited experience winds of up to 60 knots can pop up and catch you out with very little warning anytime and anywhere. You have to be prepared and able to deal with it. The only message the race management is giving these sailors is to continue trying to maximize weight savings for light to medium air performance at the expense of sea-worthiness. True it is not fun sailing to windward in a gale but to keep on delaying races like this has very real and negative consequences. Two weeks after the 1999 race finished a hurricane passed and that does not bare thinking about for any boats still at sea.
  • 16/10/2013 - 11:00
    In response to: Still no start date
    This is an outbreak of common-sense with 21ft boats setting off across the Bay off Biscay at this time of year. I can think of several sailors (of larger boats) who would still be alive if race management had made these decisions in the past, rather than copping out, under media pressure, with declarations that it's the skipper's sole responsibility etc. But I'm still amazed it's actually happening!
  • 13/10/2013 - 13:14
    Yes, impressive to see how the wind beneath the main keeps the boat from going beyond 90 degrees for several seconds. This is the second MOD70 capsize, but note that both have capsized in the traditional way to leeward rather than the normal ORMA 60 style pitchpole over the leeward bow.
  • 11/10/2013 - 09:24
    Remarkable how long the tri sailed on the outside of it's lee float! Giving the crew plenty of time to ease sheets or luff up or bear away you'd think. Also see how the boat floats entirely on the beams. Tis a pity though, the second MOD70 to capsize? They were supposed to be safer than the ORMA 60s. I do feel sorry for Dick, let's hope his back mends soon.
  • 10/10/2013 - 13:22
    Ben Ainslie Racing Team (BART) not sailing team, surely!
  • 09/10/2013 - 10:22
    why can't I see a video link? I'm logged in (and paid up)?
  • 04/10/2013 - 17:42
    Shure, this was spectacular, but was it sailing? Not to me (and I'm an old Tornado sailor). We lost most of tactics and strategy that is so obvious and exciting in single hull sailing. This was a drag race, very American and very unsophisticated. Sorry, speed alone is not the premier element, sailing is, and I think the Kiwis proved superior in light and hard weather. This was a check book event, I feel very sorry for the Kiwis.
  • 04/10/2013 - 13:49
    Could Cammas and Ainslie prove that the entente cordial is alive and well and have a Concorde moment? Unlikely, I guess.
  • 04/10/2013 - 07:34
    Great article James- good work
  • 04/10/2013 - 00:28
    Excellent article, as ever, James. Thanks. One design anything will lower the cost of that element. But the richer teams will just use this to spend more money on R&D for other elements so a significant amount of one design elements are needed to limit the amount of money that can be beneficially spent on "other stuff". The question is how far can you go with this before it ceases to be the design race and challenge trophy that is the America's Cup?