Recent comments from Members

• 11/09/2013 - 13:58
    Is Oracle quicker downwind? The delta at mark 2 was minimal, and at the approach to mark 4 ETNZ soaked down to avoid two gybes but still lost nothing on the leg.
  • 11/09/2013 - 13:19
    What do we know? But from what I can make out, Oracle makes more leeway than the Kiwi's when foil borne, and more drag when the hull is immersed. I think the Kiwi's foils are sweeter. Oracle are quick off the wind where the lateral load on the foil is reduced and therefor not such a handicap in this mode. Knowing they are slow upwind is writ on every Oracle face for all to see.
  • 09/09/2013 - 21:08
    I am writing this with TNZ and Oracle half way up the first beat in race three. I have to say it is the most exciting yacht racing spectacle I have ever seen - Barker just slam dunked Spithill at 25 knots boat speed - can you imagine doing that on the red jet on the way to Cowes....... the fact remains however that this is the first time that the racing has been competitive and offered true competition. I don't believe that one beat is enough to justify that these magnificent boats are the way forward.
  • 07/09/2013 - 08:40
    OK - so it is match racing - make a dead simple set of rules, my proposal is (as the technology is fun) AC extreme simple box rule: 45ft x 20ft x 80ft – nothing outside the cube (including digital/electronic/wireless connectivity) is allowable at any time. Racing will NOT be cancelled at any time, it is the decision of the skipper/team whether or not to race. You will race the same boat from start of the event to the end with no changes, other than to repair damage These are the rules and also the “spirit of the rules” and any breaches = disqualification with no recourse – bring what you want!
  • 06/09/2013 - 12:36
    Good going! Level the playing field!
  • 05/09/2013 - 05:59
    Great to see all the boats dockside!
  • 04/09/2013 - 17:53
    Can't be a fleet race. "The match" in the Dog implies match racing - and after the first two challenges, (before the 3rd deed), which were fleet races, AIUI Schuyler made it clear that the regatta should be a match race, and that the word "match" in the MC clause didn't allow fleet racing. In the same way that the minimum length requirement in the DoG had to be changed to allow 12s, despite NYYC and RYS agreeing to their use in the Sceptre challenge.
  • 03/09/2013 - 15:40
  • 02/09/2013 - 21:15
    when are we getting the next part of this?
  • 01/09/2013 - 17:25
    to me its simple use AC 45's, so lots of teams can enter modify the rule so that at least 75% of one hull must be in contact with the water at any time, hence 'banning' foils Fleet racing to chose the top 6, then round robin match racing to decide the semi's and then winner. opp's its no where near expense enough.....
  • 31/08/2013 - 10:23
    I tryly hope that ETNZ managers will take the opportunity to move bacj either to planing 49er's (inflated as 80ers) or non-foiling AC62 without this ridiculous jib. Why ? Because, we all missed again the feeling of suspense, we were diverted from the true substance of America's Cup : strategy and tactics, subtle change of courses to catch windshifts, hard dogfighting of tack duels...a mix of "western" and "war" movies playing at sea. It was 1'000 times more exciting to see Freemantle's splash and surf with these features than superb AC 72s gliding effortless, with no crucial strategic issues to manage at all. I was involved in several aero-hydrodynamics designs including C Class and Sailrocket, but, this 34th event is a major failure, indeed. RLJ
  • 29/08/2013 - 14:51
    Fabulous article. A couple of thoughts: TV should be comfortable with an event between only two teams. Tennis or soccer would be classic examples. When the twelve meters were introduced after World War 2 the principal innovation was that the challenger no longer had to arrive "on its bottom", it could be shipped. Boat speed alone has little to do with competitive results. The AC45s have amply demonstrated that in the past few years. It is the fact that the rule is both new and not one design. The Americas Cup has always been a design contest and surely we don't want to remove that piece of the puzzle? Last year I was fortunate enough to have a ride on l'Hydroptere and (back then) I marveled that this boat had broken the 50 knot barrier over a 500 meter course. Last week Emirates Team New Zealand sailed 47 knots racing around the cans!!! So much about this AC is right that I just hope people will line up to challenge for the next one. David, Los Angeles
  • 29/08/2013 - 12:47
    Great article and so much truth in everything that is said here. I feel that ENTZ will win the cup this time, then hopefully they will make a better decision on boats for the next cup. If you had asked me a few months ago I would of said these are the wrong boats and lets get back to an ACC boat. But now I am not sure what they should do at all. If the Kiwis win this, which I think they should easily, they have to be so careful on budgets and make it affordable(if that is the right word) for more teams to join in. Hopefully the economic stability of the Worlds economies will help them as well. For all of the evil that Larry has done to the cup over the last however many years, I think there is a heel of a lot they can take on from this, lots of lessons learnt and some cool tech to progress with. Looking forward to the next part of this article
  • 23/07/2013 - 08:50
    In response to: 'Big blue' is launched
    God speed to all at Artemis Racing. You have shown just how a fine team can work together under the most testing of times. Torbjorn you and your team have won the hearts and minds of millions, how significant is the cup compared to what you have achieved?
  • 23/07/2013 - 08:44
    In response to: 'Big blue' is launched
    Well better late than never...!!! I do hope the new boat will show some competitive racing and I wish them well...Peter Carp, Morges Switzerland
  • 22/07/2013 - 14:20
    In response to: First tentative steps
    In our interview with Yann Guichard recently he said they were looking at lightening the boat including changing the rig, possibly to a smaller one... Also, quite interesting that the boat's original creator and skipper, Pascal Bidegorry, is part of Spindrift's MOD70 crew but doesn't appear to be on this. I sincerely hope that they have managed to get one or two of the techies who originally developed the boat to come join the team.
  • 20/07/2013 - 21:40

• 20/07/2013 - 19:54
    In response to: First tentative steps
    Well it seems they are getting bigger and faster all the time...It will be interesting to see what happens when the new owners go after the records and if they will be able to better the previous ones when the boat was called Banque Populaire....Peter Carp, Morges Switzerland
  • 15/07/2013 - 03:16
    In response to: Telefonica consolidates
    this regatta is becoming very famous for Marc's irresponsible behaviour - endangering Optimist sailors by ploughing through their (racing fleet) on port (the optimist fleet is all on Starboard) - video is here: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=148692 I suggest Marc is stripped of world championship title
  • 10/07/2013 - 18:57