Recent comments from Members

• 11/02/2013 - 20:51

An incredible story which I very much enjoyed to read...I congratulate all who participated in the sea crossing with their effort. It must have been very tough conditions at times and when you think how the original members of the Shackleton party endured , survived and succeeded, then one can only say "hat-off"... I do hope that the climbing party will arrive at their destination although, according the the latest news, same is still doubtful..Anyhow, the effort is made...It shows again that at times nature is stronger than man's efforts to conquere same, and this must be especially true in the Antarctic of which South Georgia surely is part of...thanks for letting me share, Peter Carp in Switzerland

note: if some of the members of this expedition finally get to Grytviken and visit Shackleton's grave, they should look into the lovely little Norwegian church there and say a prayer in memory to all who who lived and died there...I have visited there early l996, it is a very special place...which made a deep impression on me........

• 09/02/2013 - 15:23
    Quite right. Apparently it means tiered seating. According to Wikipedia: A key feature of bleachers is that they are typically uncovered and unprotected from the sun; thus the wooden seats were "bleached by the sun."[1] The term "bleachers" used in this sense can be traced back to at least 1889. So there
  • 08/02/2013 - 10:19
    Bleacher seating? You should really translate into proper english before publishing this stuff!
  • 07/02/2013 - 08:43
    Thanks James - glad I hadn't started on breakfast before clicking that link. This has been an awesome expedition.
  • 04/02/2013 - 16:27
    In response to: Safe landing
    Thanks for your comments Peter. I look forward to getting the gory details of Paul and Nick's 'spooning'!
  • 04/02/2013 - 15:23
    In response to: Safe landing
    Bravo for this first part of an special voyage...I hope the climbing journey over the mountains will also be succesful...I have been to South Georgia in l995 and visited Shackleton's grave, its absolutely unique up there..an admirer.... Peter Carp
  • 30/01/2013 - 20:17
    Great article! So interesting. Another thing, there is a Danish lady involved!
  • 29/01/2013 - 11:39
    Can't get over how brutally simple these boat are compared to a Volvo 70 for example...! No runner blocks, just machined ferrules. Very small friction fitting for tack line on the furler - maybe why they had problems with the covers..? But what really amazes me is the attachment for the keel ram. Direct fork to the ram tray?! No articulation?!?!
  • 29/01/2013 - 11:35
  • 28/01/2013 - 10:04
    Bravo Alex
  • 28/01/2013 - 07:14
    excellent summery of a fantastic race, a new sailing star is born...peter
  • 27/01/2013 - 20:08

The fourth from bottom pic. is a classic - what an amazing performance. What do you do after this when you're only 29?

• 27/01/2013 - 17:02
    Thanks for collating the above and for your coverage and comments on this brilliant race James.
  • 22/01/2013 - 04:19
    In response to: Ker goes Class40
    Nat Herreshoff would love it because it's fast. Reliance was regarded as "ugly" in her day.
  • 21/01/2013 - 10:34
    In response to: Ker goes Class40
    Not sure what Nathaniel Herreshoff would make of that shearline. I guess if its a rocket ship then it will be the new beautiful just like F1.
  • 14/01/2013 - 19:33
    In response to: LDC to produce the '2000'
    Former Laser skiff Skiff?!
  • 11/01/2013 - 13:39
    This is excellent news... The OSTAR is open to multihulls, so it means that if the Royal Western YC put the appropriate feelers out and woo the classes, we could see a return to the old days of having both ORMA 60s (if any are still around), IMOCA 60s (if they feel the appetite for it after the Vendee Globe) plus Multi50s and Class 40s. Bring it on!
  • 10/01/2013 - 01:13
    In response to: 4th rig or death...
    big air without the backside faky!
  • 10/01/2013 - 01:12
    In response to: 4th rig or death...
    big air!!!
  • 02/01/2013 - 17:14
    In the few protests I've been involved in in recent years, it seems that jurys have increasingly recoursed to the letter of the law perhaps over the spirit of it, as would seem to have happened here. Mike Golding is of course right in what he says, the letter of the rule would seem to leave the jury little option. However, given the nature of the race and of Bernard Stamm himself (and his complete honesty regarding the incident), a time penalty allowing him to at least score a finish would have seemed more appropriate. I've never met Bernard (or any of the skippers in the Vendee) but have followed and admired him (and them all) throughout each cycle for their tenacity, bravery and downright good humour... this is no way to end a man's dream.. My thoughts are with Bernard.. and I agree with Richard Tolkien.. we salute you and hope you'll be back.